STARS Requisition number 19407BR
Department Law Sch
University Job Title Lead Administrator 4
Posting Position Title Associate Dean for Finance and Administration, Yale Law School
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade M8
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address SLB
Work Week Standard - 37.5 hrs (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Total # of hours to be worked: 37.5
Position Focus: The Associate Dean for Finance and Administration at Yale Law School is a member of the Dean's senior leadership team and the faculty's Expanded Governing Board. Within a broad and evolving portfolio of academic and administrative duties, the Associate Dean is a strategic administrative partner to Law School leadership, the chief financial steward for the Law School, and the leader of administrative support services for the Law School. The Associate Dean for Finance and Administration identifies, mobilizes, and optimizes financial and other resources to help advance the mission of the Law School, and ensures that the Law School's faculty, students and staff receive high quality administrative support in a manner compliant with University policies and procedures. The Associate Dean of Finance and Administration will also serve as a member of the University's Business Operations Leadership Team where she or he will help identify, evaluate and lead University-wide initiatives to improve the financial and administrative support for faculty, students, and staff at Yale.
The Associate Dean of Finance and Administration manages an annual operating budget of approximately $100 million, including a mix of restricted and unrestricted funds; 180 non-faculty staff; and has direct oversight over three departments with staff in excess of 25. The Associate Dean will also assume the lead role for Labor relations within the Law School.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information 
1. Strategic Partner: Achievement of the organization's mission and goals by working in close partnership with the leader, faculty, staff, students and service providers to develop and implement the organization's strategy. Understands and monitors external and internal factors influencing the organization's mission and goals. Plans for financial and non-financial resources required for the organization to achieve its goals. Supports organization and program leaders in conceptualizing, prioritizing, and planning new programs or program changes. Supports, and when necessary drives, the organization's process for strategic planning with key faculty and staff.
2. University Citizen: Connects the organization and the University through communication, alignment of priorities, implementation of initiatives, and active engagement in organizational or University administrative priorities. Effectively represents organizational needs, challenges, and opportunities at the University level. Proactively shares knowledge and best practices with others.
3. Financial Analyst and Advisor: Provides comprehensive financial information, analysis and advice to optimize use of the organization's financial resources. Creates and updates long range financial plan(s), reflecting all critical issues. Identifies available financial resources (current and future), and advises and deploys efficiently to best support organizational objectives. Prepares all-funds budgets, analyzes financial activities and performance against budget, makes adjustments and takes action as needed.
4. Risk Management Administrator: Implements and maintains strong internal controls to provide reasonable assurance of effective and appropriate resource use, accurate financial information, adherence to contractual obligations and agreements, policies, procedures, and external regulatory requirements. Identifies, communicates, addresses alerts appropriate parties to potential risks. Addresses potential risks in a timely and appropriate manner to protect the assets, resources, information and reputation of the organization and the University. Ensures all faculty and staff understand the regulations and Yale requirements as they pertain to their scope of activity.
5. Talent Manager and Developer: Ensures the organization employs effective practices for retaining, attracting, assessing and developing talent in line with University guidelines and contractual agreements. Ensures that all staff participate in the University's performance management and career development processes. Ensures the needs of current and future talent are assessed periodically and that issues are addressed, facilitating the movement of talent where appropriate. Cultivates a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives in the organization. Assures that the organization follows appropriate policies and procedures related to Human Resources.
6. Administrative Services Leader: Ensures efficient and effective completion of all administrative and financial services provided to the organization. Ensures high quality delivery of administrative services by providers outside the organization, including human resources, information technology, procurement, student services, post-doctoral affairs and faculty affairs. Establishes, monitors, and meets or exceeds targets for operational excellence. Identifies and implements opportunities to achieve continuous improvement of processes. Responsible for building and managing a team of high-performance administrative and financial professionals.
7. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree.
Ten years of progressively responsible experience, five of which are in a leadership role; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master's Degree preferred.
Demonstrated fiscal responsibility and comprehensive knowledge of accounting, financial reporting and analysis.
Demonstrated experience with complex strategic planning and resource allocation.
Demonstrated experience in managing teams and relationships, and influencing outcomes.
Demonstrated creativity and effectiveness in a complex organization.
Demonstrated success in developing people and organizations.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Demonstrated ability to manage people on a day to day basis and inspire a high level of commitment and performance. Well developed managerial, decision making, planning, organizational, problem-resolution and leadership skills. Dedication to the organization's mission.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Demonstrated ability to be a visionary with strong ability to influence. Proven ability to generate a high-level, strategic vision and to influence others to achieve this vision with the ability to anticipate changes in the business environment and proactively manage that change.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Demonstrated excellence with written and oral communications, with the ability to adapt communication style to address the needs of individuals at all levels of the organization. Proven ability to represent the organization in a variety of contexts with a high level of energy and enthusiasm.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Proven understanding of internal control concepts and the implementation of internal control systems in a complex business environment. Ability to negotiate with both in/external constituents; ability to thrive in a collaborative and transparent work environment. Proven comfort with ambiguity.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Demonstrated working ability with computer software, including strong proficiency with Excel and its functional capabilities.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Advanced Degree Preferred (MBA, CPA, CMA, JD or equivalent degree)
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.