STARS Requisition number 19810BR
Department Sch of Management
University Job Title Student Services Officer 5
Posting Position Title Deputy Director Career Development
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade 25
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address 135 Prospect (mail: SOM)
Work Week Standard - 37.5 hrs (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Position Focus: The Yale SOM Career Development Office (CDO) supports the career management needs of more than 600 full-time MBA, executive MBA, and Master's in Advanced Management Students and alumni. Reporting to the Assistant Dean and Director of the CDO, the deputy director leads the development and implementation of a comprehensive CDO curriculum, oversees and conducts advising, and oversees key internal processes, functions, and resources on behalf of the CDO. The CDO Deputy Director manages and partners closely with the Program Management team and front line staff in carrying out projects, programs, and CDO events. In concert with the CDO Director, is responsible for designing and implementing systems and processes for close collaboration with and responsiveness to requests from other Yale SOM departments and the university as a whole.
1. Initiates, implements, and communicates admission, financial aid, internship, and career services strategic plans, policies, and procedures. Assesses and refines content of recruitment, admissions and career placement programs based on current trends and demographics.
2. Designs, initiates, develops and conducts programs and materials for recruitment seminars and workshops for prospective students, families, secondary schools and alumni committees. Develops and implements career fairs, panels and other programming for student career services.
3. Serves as a member of Admission Committee; participates in final admission decisions. Evaluates, assesses and presents candidates meeting University standards to Admission Committees.
4. Develops and maintains relationships with employers and internship sponsors to facilitate career opportunity development with external constituencies, including alumni.
5. Develops marketing materials and admissions publications to inform students, prospective students and families about available services, University policy and academic developments.
6. Supervises, develops, and trains a staff of exempt and non-exempt employees.
7. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in relevant field and six years of experience in admissions, registration, placement, financial aid, student counseling or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Proven ability working in a highly selective environment and familiarity with hiring trends, work settings, and a variety of industries and careers.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Outstanding presentation and written and verbal communications skills.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Proven ability managing events and ability to travel domestically and internationally on occasion.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Proven ability managing both professional and administrative staff and operations involving a high degree of detail.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Proficiency with MS Office including Word, Access, Excel, Powerpoint, and expertise with database systems.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Master's Degree in a relevant field and 6 years of experience in career development including student/professional counseling.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.