Wanted: An experienced and innovative on-line learning curriculum designer/developer.
Fielding Graduate University is one of the premier distributed learning institutions and the best graduate school for adult learners. Based in Santa Barbara, CA, the Instructional Designer (ID) position is a unique opportunity that will play an essential role in guiding the institution as it begins to embrace a greater online instructional strategy. The ID is responsible for working with the University faculty to design, develop, and implement online courses and programs and to train faculty to become effective online instructors. The Designer will collaborate with faculty and other staff to recommend appropriate tools and teaching strategies to accomplish course learning objectives. Taking a leadership role in identifying innovative and effective online learning techniques, the Designer will explore emerging technologies related to online instruction. The ID position reports to the Director of IT and must live in or near Santa Barbara, CA.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
• Collaborate with faculty on creating and adapting courses for an online environment by guiding and supporting them as needed on the creation of objectives, sequencing of instruction, use of assessments tied to objectives and design of course materials through one-on-one consultations, online seminars, webinars and other related methods.
• Effectively utilize technology and best practices in online pedagogy to develop initial faculty training and ongoing professional faculty development.
• Continuously assess and address the needs of faculty to help improve the effectiveness of online instruction through the introduction of best teaching practices that reflect a project-based/student-centered philosophy, the implementation of new technologies, and the application of adult learning theory.
• Assist faculty with the development and implementation of online assessment techniques.
• Oversee the course development process to ensure that course offering deadlines are met.
• Remain current with emerging trends in instructional design needs and online pedagogy.
• Make recommendations for adoption based on programmatic needs.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Bachelor degree required (Master's degree preferred) in instructional design, instructional or educational technology, or related field with demonstrated evidence of professional work as an instructional designer in higher education.
• Extensive knowledge of current and emerging instructional technologies, instructional design, and an in-depth understanding of pedagogical issues related to online teaching and learning.
• Experience in designing online learning environments required. Leading online professional development workshops and writing technical documentation highly desirable.
• Strong skills in building and maintaining stable working relationships with faculty and staff.
• Ability to apply and adapt sound online design practices in an environment of diverse constituent and program needs.
• In depth knowledge of online learning management platforms with desired expertise in Moodle.
• A demonstrated computer competency especially with course management software Google Apps, web conferencing, multi-media authoring programs, HTML, and web development tools. Should have the ability to work across Windows and Mac platforms.
• Thorough understanding of mobile technology and its application in online instruction.
• Ability to meet deadlines and manage expectations
• The ability to be flexible with projects and work on multiple projects both independently and collaboratively
• Previous experience in adult learning including teaching and curriculum development is
To apply, please put the words Instructional Designer in the subject line when you email a letter of application, resume, salary history and contact information of 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Fielding is committed to social justice and diversity, and encourages individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply. We offer a friendly, professional environment with competitive salaries and excellent benefits. To learn more about Fielding, please visit www.fielding.edu .