STARS Requisition number 19733BR
Department Physical Plant
University Job Title Equipment Mechanic
Bargaining Unit L35
Job Category Service & Maintenance
Type of Employment Full Time
Salary Grade 11
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address 344 Winchester Ave
Work Week Non Standard Work Week
Total # of hours to be worked: 40
Work Schedule (Other than Standard) Mo-Fr 750A-420P
Is this a rounds position? No
Position Focus: Installs, repairs, replaces and maintains a variety of University building equipment to include warm air, chilled water, steam and hot water systems.
1. Performs assignments under limited supervision.
2. Directs the work of employees under the direction of the supervisor.
3. Under the direction of the supervisor, assumes general responsibility for the completion of assignments.
4. Determines the manpower and material requirements and the means and methods to be used in accomplishing work assignments and recommends changes.
5. Secures materials, supplies and equipment.
6. Installs, repairs, replaces, maintains or alters any warm air, chill water, steam or hot water systems, including necessary piping and associated pumping equipment.
7. Diagnoses, services, installs and maintains, mechanical equipment such as but not limited to motors, compressors, pumps, laboratory equipment, kitchen appliances, fans, autoclaves, air handling units, cage washing equipment, control valves, centrifuges and other equipment related to the trade.
8. Performs incidental work required on the equipment maintained by the trade.
9. Maintains clean work area and/or cleans job site.
10. Trains lower labor grade employees using various training methods.
11. Observes safety standards and practices.
12. Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
Required Education and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent.
Two or more years maintaining laboratory and dining hall equipment, HVAC equipment or related type work.
Required Skill/Ability 1: N/A
Required Licenses or Certifications Must possess a valid Connecticut S4 license or higher, all External candidates require a valid Connecticut S2 license and must hold valid driver's license. Must possess a OSHA 10.
Physical Requirements: 1. Climbs ladders and scaffolding in excess of eight (8) feet.
2. Frequent stooping, bending, kneeling and/or squatting.
3. Works in confined areas.
4. Sustained overhead work.
5. Works outside in all types of weather.
6. Moves both arms and shoulders in full and extended motion while working with heavy tools.
7. Moves, assembles, lifts or carries furniture, equipment, tools and materials of up to fifty (50) pounds without assistance.
Weekend Hours Required? No
Evening Hours Required? No
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Last Day Bids Accepted 07-Jan-2013
Last Day Bids Accepted Time 5 PM
Effective on or before: 07-Mar-2013
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Additional Background or Health Screening Requirements Selected incumbent must have successful completion of a DMV check and a valid driver's license.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.