The University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law is currently seeking a Director of Law Registration. The Director, Law Registration (functional title Law Registrar) will report to the Associate Dean for Students & Student Services. The Director supervises the day-to-day systems operations of the Maryland Carey Law Office of Registration & Enrollment, and occupies a leadership role in the office. The Director is the administrative official with primary responsibility for academic records, who ensures compliance with ABA standards, faculty adopted policies, Family Education Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA), and applicable state and federal regulations and requirements. The Director provides strategic planning and direction for the maintenance and enhancement of the academic information structure for the law school.
· Manages all aspects of the law school’s Registration and Records function, including supervision, training and guidance of Registration staff members regarding new procedures and systems.
· Administers and consistently implements faculty approved academic policies and procedures related to the law school’s registration, exam administration and academic records.
· Provides support and directly assists the Associate Dean for Academic Programs with all aspects of the planning, design and implementation of the academic curriculum. Provides support to faculty with all issues related to the course offerings.
· In consultation with the Associate Dean for Academic Programs, coordinates and supports adjunct faculty on issues related to curriculum, registration, policies and procedures.
· Provides advice to students regarding academic regulations, course requirements, graduation requirements, certificate requirements, and time management requirements for graduation; monitors student academic standing, probation, and suspension; certifies completion of graduation requirements and eligibility for bar examinations for all students.
· Compiles, prepares and presents official list of graduation candidates for Faculty approval. Provides critical and detailed information regarding all graduation awards, rankings, honors and other related distinctions (i.e. cum laude, magna cum laude and summa cum laude).
· Provides timely and efficient support to all faculty and student populations, including management of law school specific content on the website.
· Develops and maintains the academic calendar and schedule.
· Responsible for registration management, including course setup and maintenance, law school registration period, and the open add/drop period.
· Responsible for all aspects of exam administration, including but not limited to assigning proctors, distributing and collecting examination questions and answers from students, distributing examinations answers to faculty.
· Supervises the processing and recording of all student grades, submission of grades, processing of grade changes, and tabulation of academic and graduation honors listings.
· Responsible for preparing information for annual ABA questionnaire and a full range of internal and external reports related to and including but not limited to student records, enrollments, and faculty.
· Manages an online faculty portal for course information, and a web-based form system, as well as any future applications implemented or developed for the Office of Registration & Enrollment. Makes recommendations for IT systems/software upgrades or enhancements.
· Attends faculty meetings as needed and participates in faculty committees as assigned; represents the law school at professional meetings and organizations.
· Master’s degrees in related field with 5 to 7 years of progressively responsible experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience; JD strongly preferred and may be used to substitute length of experience required.
· Prior experience in an academic institution, with knowledge of academic procedures is highly desirable.
· High level of proficiency in the use and development of spreadsheets.
· Knowledge of Banner preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Excellent analytical, organizational and data management skills.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to use diplomacy and tact, and to maintain highest standards of confidentiality.
· Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
· Ability to work with diverse constituencies, both as part of a team and independently.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, browsers and other desktop applications.
· Accuracy and attention to detail is critical and required.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
Closing Deadline: Open until filled
Original Posting Date: 1/04/2013
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.