Georgia Highlands College is a rapidly growing, multi-site institution in the University System of Georgia granting associate degrees as well as bachelor degrees in nursing. The college sites and campuses are located north of Atlanta in Cobb, Douglas, Paulding, Bartow and Floyd counties.
Job Description Summary
This position is responsible for providing personal, career, group and academic counseling to students at multiple campuses of Georgia Highlands College, primarily Cartersville Campus.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of a master’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field. LPC required – will consider applicant if LPC is at the stage of imminent completion.
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated
• Counsels with individual students or in groups; provides crisis intervention counseling
• Coordinates presentations to introductory courses for the purpose of acquainting students with departmental services
• Assists in serving students with disabilities
• Coordinates the scheduling, instruction, and publicity for academic enrichment programs
• Oversees outreach programs for various student groups, faculty and staff
• Assists in the selection and proper use of appropriate self-evaluation instruments
• Oversees the distribution of student support services materials
• Performs related duties
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of University System of Georgia Board of Regents policies as well as institutional policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of personal, career, group, academic and crisis counseling principles and practices
• Knowledge of human developmental theory
• Knowledge of assessment and testing principles
• Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs
• Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions
• Skill in oral and written communication