Saint Mary’s University is seeking an experienced, dynamic university relations leader for its Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs. This position is responsible for establishing and executing strategic marketing and communication plans, community relations initiatives for the Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs (SGPP). This position leads a team to increase visibility, foster key partnerships and develop marketing and communications strategy. This individual provides advice and counsel to the Senior Vice President, University Advancement relative to community relations and marketing opportunities.
University Relations-SGPP is a department of University Advancement and the AVP reports to the Senior Vice President, University Advancement. The AVP works closely with the Vice President, Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs.
Critical relations: Senior Vice President University Advancement; Associate Vice President, Marketing and Communications, College; Vice President, Development; Assistant Vice President, Alumni Relations; Director of Admissions; Vice President, Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs
Increase visibility for the SGPP through dynamic and creative outreach to the University’s friends and the general public
Collaborate with the Senior Vice President, University Advancement and the Vice President of the Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs to advance University objectives
Serve as the public spokesperson of SGPP to the media
Represent the University at events and activities in the greater Twin Cities and Phillips Neighborhood communities
Collaborate with the AVP, Alumni Relations in engaging the National Alumni Board of Directors
Manage and coordinate the University’s federal government and corporate relations initiatives in collaboration with the Vice President, Development Foster good relations with Minnesota and Twin Cities area municipal authorities
Assist the Vice President of the Schools of Graduate and Professional Programs in working with the various advisory boards of the SGPP
Support the Hendrickson Institute for Ethical Leadership in marketing the annual Hendrickson Forum
Develop and maintain functional budgets
Direction of Others:
Direct responsibility for managing Director of Marketing, Creative Director, Graphic Designer, Web and New Media Coordinator, and Internal Communications Assistant Director.
Ensure effective organization structure and staffing to achieve organizational goals. Responsible for individual and team development in addition to performance management. Provide direction to other leaders in support of organizational strategy and objectives.
• Excellent written, presentation, oral communications and interpersonal skills
• Proven ability to counsel senior management
• Strong leadership skills and ability to motivate and influence others
• Ability to think creatively and strategically, have excellent judgment and be able to work in a changing environment
• Proven ability to identify new and innovative ways to communicate with both internal and external audiences
• Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with key stakeholders
• Partner cross-functionally with department leaders to ensure the realization of institutional goals
• Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, government relations, and marketing programs to advance the organization's mission and goals
• Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
• Experience in building, mentoring and coaching a team of specialists
• Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
• Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
• Self reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
• Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
• Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact and operate both strategic and tactical initiatives
• Experience in budget development and management
• Passion and support of the University’s mission
Minimum education and experience:
The ideal candidate will have an MBA or masters degree in business, marketing, communication or a relevant field, have a minimum of 10 years marketing and communication experience, as well as experience in a higher education setting. Candidate should have experience in community and government relations. The successful candidate should have experience working for complex organizations and have successfully led teams and advanced organizational goals and priorities. The candidate should be highly motivated and enjoy collaborating with others.