STARS Requisition number 19801BR
Department Cancer Ctr
University Job Title Genetic Counselor 1
Posting Position Title Yale Cancer Center Genetic Counselor 1
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade 23
Work Location Medical School Campus
Worksite Address 55 Church
Work Week Standard - 37.5 hrs (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Position Focus: The Cancer Genetic Counselors at Yale counsel patients independently while having teaching, writing and research responsibilities in addition to their clinical caseload. Position provides cancer genetic counseling to individual patients and families at Yale and off-site outreach clinics, under the supervision of a senior counselor. Develop genetic counseling plans by establishing guidelines and protocols that govern the services provided. Formulate criteria and guidelines for the development of counseling plans. Design, plan and develop counseling services and coordinate follow-up care. Diagnose genetic problems and develop short and long-term genetic counseling plans. Attend after-hours tumor boards.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information 
1. Obtains and assesses patient and family medical and psycho-social histories.
2. Prepares summary of patients' medical history for review.
3. Assesses information and refers cases to appropriate clinic or counselors.
4. Discusses results of diagnostic tests with higher level authority to determine direction of counseling plans.
5. Coordinates nationwide consultation services for patients and families involved in genetic counseling.
6. Develops genetic information material for distribution to potential patients and families.
7. Counsels and explains genetic services to patients and families.
8. Coordinates case review sessions for patients and families.
9. Ensures appropriate counseling support is developed and implemented for individuals and families.
10. Evaluates genetic counseling progress of individual or family and reports progress to higher authority.
11. Interprets genetic testing results and counseling assistance.
12. Develops written reports on family pedigree and profiles.
13. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Master's Degree in Genetics or a related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Proven well developed counseling and interviewing skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Demonstrated exceptional ability and experience with statistical, analytical, and computer skills.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Proven effective managerial and supervisory skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Demonstrated experience in teaching, mentoring and developing/creating educational programs and materials for professionals, students, patients, and the public.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Previous experience in writing and performing clinical research protocols.
Required Licenses or Certifications Board eligibility or certification by the American Board of Genetic Counseling (ABGC) or American Board of Medical Genetics (ABMG).
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.