STARS Requisition number 19747BR
University Job Title Clinical Assistant 3
Posting Position Title Ophthalmic Technician
Bargaining Unit L34
Job Category Clerical & Technical
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade E
Work Location Medical School Campus
Worksite Address TMC
Work Week Standard - 37.5 hrs (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Position Focus: With the knowledge and understanding of eye anatomy and mastery of testing protocols, independently assist physicians of the Ophthalmology and Visual Science Department in performing diagnostic tests necessary for evaluation of patient eye problems. Independently perform diagnostic testing for multi-specialty ophthalmic practice with specialized testing including, but not limited to UBM, ERG, A-scan, keratometry, manifest refractions, topography, cellular microscopy and use of the IOL Master. Independently perform preliminary screening examination for physician review including, but not limited to central and peripheral visual field tests; ocular motility tests; color vision tests; pharmacological pupil tests; tonometry, tonography and tensilon tonography tests to determine intraocular pressure and pupil testing for size, equality and reaction prior to dilation. Perform specialized testing procedures appropriate to specialty using both automated and manual equipment. Acting independently perform the following: position patients; review patient's chart, patient's condition, and physician's notes to plan and determine method of testing; set up, operate and maintain equipment to conduct tests and procedures appropriate to specialty; provide information to patients concerning specific tests and procedures; record test results; identify and report abnormalities.
1. Independently performs specialized testing procedures appropriate to specialty.
2. Performs preliminary screening examination for physician review. Reviews patient's chart, patient's condition, and physician's notes to plan and determine method of testing. Positions patients.
3. Sets up, operates, and maintains equipment to conduct tests and procedures appropriate to specialty. Assists patients when necessary to dress/undress for exams, or in transfers to/from wheel chair, stretcher, exam tables, etc.
4. Provides information to patients concerning specific tests and procedures. Reads and interprets obtained images. Records test results. Identifies and reports abnormalities.
5. Coordinates processing of slides and film. Instructs and acts as a source of information on testing techniques, procedures, and equipment operation.
6. Schedules patient appointments and originates billing paperwork. Reviews and prepares financial paperwork related to clinical activities.
7. Analyzes and compiles patient information.
8. Creates visual aids for lecture presentations and publications.
9. Reports equipment problems and acts as a liaison with repair personnel. Maintains quality control checks and log service records. Orders and maintains inventory of supplies. Maintains disposal inventory per department protocol regarding date of use/disposal.
10. Performs additional functions related to clinical activities.
Required Education and Experience
Eight years of related experience, six of them in the same job family at the next lower level and a high school level education; or six years of related experience and an Associate's Degree; or two years of related work experience and a Bachelor's Degree; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Outstanding interpersonal skills. Demonstrated communication and time managment skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Demonstrated knowledge of medical procedures, administering diagnostic tests, and specialized equipment and instruments.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Ability to work as part of a team.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Proven professional appearance.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Ophthalmic Assistant Certification by JCAHPO or Certified Ophthalmic Technician (COT).
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Preferred Licenses or Certifications: Certified Ophthalmic Technician (COT).
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.