Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date October 16, 2012
Vacancy # V-734
Department University Advancement
Division University Advancement
Under the direction of the Executive Director for Strategic Communications, the Director of Marketing and Analysis is responsible for the planning, implementation and analysis of the university’s overall marketing plan. Key elements include brand identity, internal client relations, external agency relationships, performance metrics and competitive analysis.
The ideal candidate will have 10+ years of experience, including at least 3 in higher education and 3-5 with budget oversight ($1M-plus); deep knowledge of, and facility with, metrics for both competitive marketing and ROI; extensive experience in managing agency relationships; and strong interpersonal skills at all levels.
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Leads overall brand identity strategy for the university
• Develops and oversees overall university marketing budget
• Develops and maintains benchmarks to measure the impact of strategic marketing initiatives
• Directs development and implementation of digital/traditional advertising strategy
• Serves as Marketing Account Executive to internal partners, including Colleges, Schools and business units, to ensure alignment of University strategy and individual marketing projects.
• Assesses proposed new marketing initiatives – e.g. electronic publications, social media strategy, mobile applications and others – through competitive research and business analysis, and provides recommendations to leadership
• Serves as institutional expert on emerging trends in higher education marketing/planning
• Conducts relevant market research as needed.
Qualifications & Requirements
• 10+ years of experience, including at least 3 in higher education
• Demonstrated ability to create and execute short- and long-term marketing plans
• Extensive project management experience
• Budget management experience ($1M-plus preferred)
• Exceptional communications, writing and presentation skills
• Thorough understanding of marketing principles and branding as they relate to higher education
• Strong interpersonal skills, especially in the area of client relations
• Ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of internal constituents
• Knowledge of metrics dashboards/ability to manage and communicate performance milestones
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred
Salary Range D28
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ 07043
Organizational Marketing Statement:
With a proud history and a vibrant future, Montclair State University is one of New Jersey's most diverse and dynamic institutions of higher education. Located 14 miles west of New York City on a 246-acre campus which boasts modern, state-of-the-art facilities complemented by green spaces, public plazas, and early twentieth-century architecture, the University offers a comprehensive undergraduate curriculum with a global focus; a broad variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level; and a talented and diverse faculty and student body.The University's six colleges and schools offer more than 300 undergraduate and graduate majors, minors, concentrations, and certificate programs, and with more than 120 student organizations and 17 varsity sports for men and women, Montclair State offers students the total college experience.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu .
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION