Due to the recent promotion of its dean to Provost, Seattle Pacific University (SPU) is searching for a new dean of the School of Business and Economics. Available July 1, 2013.
Seattle Pacific is a Christian liberal arts university that prizes character formation and service, located within the core of a vibrant metropolitan business community. The region is home to Microsoft, Boeing, Nintendo, Amazon.com, and many other high-tech companies, as well as the headquarters of international NGOs such as World Vision and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The city has strong business ties and exchanges with many Pacific Rim nations (http://spu.edu/about-spu ).
Founded in 1891, Seattle Pacific University is a premier Christian university that equips people to engage the culture and change the world. Its comprehensive academic program serves more than 4,100 undergraduate and graduate students. As a Christian university, SPU is clearly evangelical, genuinely ecumenical, and distinctively Wesleyan, and seeks applicants who are committed to its Christian mission. The University is located in a cosmopolitan urban center with rich cultural diversity and is committed to building an excellent and diverse teaching faculty. Women and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
The School of Business and Economics at SPU has 25 faculty and 8 staff serving about 450 undergraduate majors in Accounting, Business Administration and Economics, as well as approximately 150 graduate students in three master’s level programs (MBA, MS-ISM, and MA in Management). The school is committed to providing a high-quality business education through the lens of Christian faith and values, and is distinguished by its emphasis on applied learning. It was the first within the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities membership to achieve secondary accreditation with the AACSB in 2000, and successfully went through maintenance of accreditation in 2010. SPU is currently ranked #3 in the western region as “Best Value,” and the business school is listed as one of the best grad schools by US News. The school is regularly featured in Princeton Review’s Best Business Schools, and was recently designated as one of the top 100 programs in the country by the Aspen Institute in their Beyond Grey Pinstripes survey. In addition, the School of Business and Economics was the first adopter within the Northwest Region of the UN’s Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME). Beyond such quality indicators, the faculty and staff within the school are especially proud of their collegial community marked by collaborative teaching, scholarship and service.
Over the past decade the School of Business and Economics has become a thought leader for a faith-informed and service-oriented approach to business, known as “Another Way of Doing Business” (http://spu.edu/depts/sbe/whyspu/vision.asp ). The dean is expected to be an enthusiastic sponsor of and advocate for this approach while providing leadership to the school’s mission and vision. She or he is responsible for the growth and development of high quality undergraduate, graduate, and non-degree programs, and oversees the work of the school’s Center for Applied Learning and Center for Integrity in Business. The dean is responsible for recruiting, developing and evaluating excellent faculty and staff, as well as developing and maintaining strong external relations with the business community and with the school’s Executive Advisory Council. He or she manages the school’s budget, provides oversight to the school’s assessment process, and will lead the upcoming AACSB maintenance of accreditation process. The dean reports directly to the Provost and serves on the Deans' Cabinet.
The ideal candidate will be characterized by the following:
• Mature Christian faith aligned with SPU’s faith commitments (http://spu.edu/about-spu/statement-of-faith ); known as a person of high integrity and a sense of calling to Christian higher education
• Academic experience with teaching and scholarship, and/or the ability to meet criteria for tenure and promotion within the school
• Clear understanding of and support for the faculty roles of teaching, scholarship and service within Christian higher education
• Creative vision and the ability to encourage new ideas and provide strategic thinking and direction
• Nuanced understanding of the cost and delivery challenges facing higher education, and ability to creatively address such challenges
• Meaningful experience in leading an organization, including demonstrated success with developing, executing and completing plans
• A comprehensive understanding of current trends in business, particularly internationalization and globalization, and a vision for the future direction of SBE’s role in the international community of higher education
• Record of cultivating and maintaining relationships with business community members, including tangible success in fundraising
• Collaborative leadership style which supports the school’s collegial culture; Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with students, alumni, faculty, staff, university administration, other academic units, and the School’s Executive Advisory Council.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Earned advanced degree in a discipline relevant to business or economics
COMPENSATION: Salary and benefits are commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include dependent tuition discount, health, dental, disability, and life insurance as well as retirement programs. A moving allowance is provided.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Completed applications will be reviewed beginning February 28, 2013; the position will remain open until filled. The application includes an official SPU application form, a faith statement of approximately one page, and supporting documents. The university reserves the right to fill the position before the deadline or to extend the deadline as circumstances warrant. For inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org . For more information and to apply, go to: http://spu.interviewexchange.com .