Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
The Systems Analyst (SA) is a data expert who understands the business processes and functional needs of their assigned functional users and the configuration, regular use, and data structures of relevant or assigned enterprise applications. The SA is the primary interface between IMT and the Data Analysts in each functional area, providing software configuration, user training, coordination of testing and Tier 2 support, escalating technical issues and change requests to the appropriate Tier 3 support staff as appropriate. The SA also provides Tier 2 report and query writing support for their respective Data Analysts.
The SA also participates in enterprise software development projects as coordinated by the Sr. Systems Analysts and IMT Engineering. This effort includes software design and development tasks in collaboration with other Systems Analysts, Functional Leads and IMT Engineering.
In addition to working within their assigned functional area, the SA works collaboratively with a variety of university departments. Within the Enterprise Data Management team, Systems Analysts provide data integration, reporting and analysis at the enterprise level, collaborate with IMT Engineering on projects, break-fixes, upgrades and testing, and also collaborate with other departments and project teams on an as-needed basis.
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or closely related field.
- Five years of relevant experience including three years supporting enterprise applications.
- Experience working with enterprise reporting tools.
- SQL experience in an Oracle Server environment preferred.
- Knowledge of IT systems in general and experience troubleshooting basic client and network issues as they relate to PeopleSoft access for proper escalation to other support teams.
- Experience in project management, either as a project manager or technical lead
- Experience using PeopleTools 8.x preferred.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Serve as an internal consultant to functional users in matters related to system capabilities, proficiency training, and extraction and manipulation of decision-making information.
- Provide maintenance and Tier 2 technical support for assigned functional area.
- Provide mentorship and training for Data Analysts who work in the assigned functional area.
- Perform data analysis, business process capture, and database design activities in collaboration with Data Analysts, functional users and other IMT resources.
- Coordinate activities and business processes across business units such that system conflicts are prevented and data integrity is maintained.
- Develop functional test scripts and perform testing of new functionality, upgrades and bundles.
- Develop and recommend policies and procedures designed to increase end user accuracy, efficiency, and effectiveness of systems to functional users and managers.
- Assist in identifying and analyzing module-related problems, and devising solutions.
- Keep immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways for dealing with such problems.
- Work closely with functional users and IMT Engineering in solving systems-related problems and in coordinating systems support for enterprise applications.
- Respond to customer requests for ad-hoc reporting, including developing custom reports and queries as needed and assisting Data Analysts with their reporting efforts.
- Collaborate with Data Analysts to ensure data integrity, quality and consistency within the assigned module, and across modules and careers.
- Collaborate with Data Analysts to develop training documentation and deliver end user training in related functional areas.
- Collaborate with Data Analysts and Security Administrators to coordinate security and access needs for users of relevant enterprise applications.
- Collaborate with EDM and IMT Engineering team members on joint projects.
- Participate in efforts among Systems Analysts for projects that require collaborative effort.
- Adhere to APU software development methodology, IT Architecture models and standards, and collaborate with IMT Software & Service Development.
- Appropriately tailor communication content to peer, supervisory, executive, and customer audiences.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Thorough understanding of assigned enterprise app or Peoplesoft module.
- Basic understanding Relational Database Management System (RDBMS).
- Proficient with the use of MS Office products: Word, Excel, Visio and PPT.
- Proficient with report development tools such as SQL, PSQuery, XML Publisher, or other similar tools.
- Ability to read technical documentation, architecture artifacts, and perform data modelling.
- Familiar with ITIL processes: incident, change, and release management.
- Familiar with incident management systems and able to capture detailed information so that upper tiers can reproduce problems for problem resolution.
- Skill in system analysis, business analysis, and requirements development and in analyzing and solving complex problems.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently in designing and implementing technical solutions.
- Ability to analyze technical and functional aspects of a program and troubleshoot complex technical and functional issues.
- Ability to analyze and troubleshoot software to find causes of errors and recommend corrective actions or improvements.
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment and possess the flexibility and adaptability to changing requirements is required.
- Ability to translate needs analysis results into functional designs and to develop and learn new technical skills quickly.
- Ability to maintain harmonious work relationships with staff, students, faculty and University officials and the general public.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Intermittent sitting, standing and walking.
- Able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Hearing and speaking in person and on the telephone.
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, reach, and stoop.
- Repetitive wrist/finger motions with use of a computer.
- Computer usage for extended periods of time.
- Able to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Able to lift up to 20lbs occasionally.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant office, comfortable temperature.
The following technologies are typical of the context within which the SA will work, though this is not intended to be an exhaustive list. As such, the SA must have experience with, or be able to adapt quickly to these types of technologies.
- Series25 from CollegeNET
- Oracle/PeopleSoft for Higher Education (Campus Solutions, HCM, Finance)
- PeopleTools 8.4 and higher.
- Oracle Database
- Integration technologies, XML and Web Services
- Reporting tools such as SQL, PS Query, etc.
- BI Analytics tools such as Tableau
- Productivity tools such as Microsoft Office and/or Google Docs
- Email tools such as Microsoft Outlook and/or GMail
For Staff jobs please apply directly at
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.