Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
- This position is responsible for various payroll duties in the Business Office. This position provides direct support for processing the semi-monthly payroll for over 4,000 employees.
- This includes processing several types of requests for payment, deductions, retirement benefits, garnishments and paid time off tracking.
- Must provide excellent customer service and assist with team tasks towards the goal of transmit of the payroll to an outside vendor.
- High School Graduate, payroll training, additional education in business or accounting desirable.
- Three to five years of payroll experience in a high-volume company, preferably higher education, with at least 1,000 employees.
- ADP payroll experience with system conversion.
- Experience in communicating directly with employees in regards to their payroll inquiries.
- Experience in communicating directly with staff of the human resources department in regards to employee salaries, deductions, benefits, paid time off and recordkeeping issues.
- Experience in sharing responsibility with a team to reach a common goal including working collaboratively and cooperatively with team members.
- Experience in multi-task work and focus on the detail in a high-volume, busy environment.
- Experience in communicating with all levels of an organization using strong oral and written skills.
- Experience with and understanding of general ledger accounts, wage and hour laws, payroll tax and reporting regulations and general reporting in accordance with GAAP.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Provides excellent customer service when answering phones or assisting walk in customers.
- Perform analysis and processing of payroll transactions such as new hires, transfers, and terminations for over 4000 employees. Audits timesheets and timecards. Inputs insurance deductions, retirement benefits, garnishments, tracks Paid Time Off (sick, vacation and personal time, etc.) and sorts checks for distribution.
- Provides detail calculations in coordinator with Human Resources in relation to SDI, FMLA, Workers Compensation, terminations, and changes to benefits.
- Processes all forms of supplemental pay and assists team in maintaining related payroll files.
- Communicates with various departments to process pay information and handle questions from supervisors and employees regarding paychecks, timecards and other payroll related issues. Conducts research as necessary to solve problems and answer questions.
- Provides assistance to employees in reference to applicable labor laws and payroll taxation matters.
- Provides assistance to employees inquiries about benefit deductions in coordination with Human Resources.
- Provides assistance to the Operations Manager with any special projects.
- Provides assistance to any Payroll team member or in any other area of the Business Office.
- Perform accurate recording to the payroll system of all payment requests in accordance with university policies and procedures and GAAP.
- Works collaboratively and cooperatively with co-workers in a busy, close environment focused on the goal for the team success.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- The ability to multi-task and willingness to learn new skills.
- Proficiency with using a Computer, Word and Excel programs with accuracy.
- Data entry required knowing 10 key by touch.
- Team oriented person who works collaboratively and cooperatively with co-workers in a busy, close environment focused on the goal for the team’s success.
- Detail-oriented person who can focus on the details while adapting to changes easily.
- The ability to work effectively in a loud, high volume environment that is constantly changing.
- Excellent organizational skills and good general office skills.
- Good telephone skills and use of all other business equipment.
- High attention to detail and comfortable with numerical data.
- Ability to interact effectively with vendors, faculty, staff, students, and the general public.
- Able to exercise independent judgment and discretion with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision, take initiative, and be creative.
- Ability to communicate with supervisor for support.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and deadlines
- Logical problem solving.
- Ability to identify internal control weaknesses and effectively communicate operational and functional improvements to supervisor.
- Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects of the position.
- Requires continuous periods of sitting, 5-6 hours a day.
- Extensive computer keyboard work.
- Repetitive wrist and finger motions.
- Talking and good listening demands.
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, bend to lower file drawers and reach to top of a five drawer file cabinet.
- Able to lift up to 20lbs.
- Ability to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant office with some noise and many people; comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word and Excel.
For Staff jobs please apply directly at