Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
The Data Modeler/ETL Developer is a key leader on the Business Intelligence team at Azusa Pacific University. This position fills three key roles within the BI/DW structure. As the chief BI technical/systems architect, the DM/ETL Developer defines and documents the technical architecture of the data warehouse, including the physical components and their functionality. As the chief data modeler, this position develops, manages and updates data models, including physical and logical models of the data warehouse, staging area and operational data store, and works collaboratively with IMT Engineering staff to ensure consistency and compatibility with source systems. As the chief ETL developer, this position is responsible for the scripts required to extract, transform, clean and move data and metadata so they can be loaded into the data warehouse. The DM/ETL Developer also provides thought-leadership, and makes recommendations to university and departmental leaders on the philosophies, approaches and technologies necessary to ensure successful BI/DW outcomes for the institution.
- Bachelor's degree in Math, Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems or closely related field. Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Certifications in relevant technologies and techniques, such as SQL, Oracle Business Intelligence, Oracle Warehouse Builder, or Dimensional Modeling are highly desirable.
- Five to seven years of relevant experience including three years configuring, supporting or developing data models, ETL processes or enterprise applications.
- Experience working with enterprise reporting tools.
- SQL experience in an Oracle Server environment preferred.
- Knowledge of IT systems in general and experience troubleshooting basic client and network issues as they relate to enterprise software for proper escalation to other support teams.
- Designs conceptual and logical models for data warehouses
- Evolves and updates data models to meet new and changing business requirements
- Maps source system data to data warehouse models
- Develops, tests, and maintains ETL processes for all sources and destinations in the BI/DW ecosphere
- Adapts ETL processes to accommodate changes in source systems and to respond to changes in business requirements
- Develops processes for capturing and maintaining metadata from all data warehousing components
- Defines and captures metadata and rules associated with ETL processes
- Serves as thought-leader for the institution on data modeling philosophy and approach and ETL technologies and architectures, staying abreast of new technologies and best-practices in the industry
- Assesses technical architecture, and assures APU consistency with industry best practices
- Monitors systems capacity to meet near- and long-term processing requirements and makes recommendations as to system changes/upgrades to meet those requirements
- Maintains recommended specifications for client access, application servers, database servers and networks in collaboration with IMT Engineering staff
- Works collaboratively with Systems Analysts to understand user requirement for data, database access permissions and analytic applications
- Works collaboratively with Systems Analysts and Subject Matter Experts to identify and understand source data systems
- Provides a feedback loop to advise on data standards in transaction systems that will lend better to long term analytic use of institutional data.
- Works collaboratively with IMT Engineering staff and Security Architect to define and maintain data warehouse security protocols
- Works collaboratively with IMT Engineering staff to maintain and optimize physical/virtual database designs
- Advanced relational and dimensional data modeling, database design, and technical design skills.
- Understanding of source and target data structures, especially Peoplesoft as a source system and Oracle database as a target system
- Understanding of data warehousing architectural approaches
- Proficient with the use of Oracle Warehouse Builder
- Understanding of data analysis and presentation concepts that facilitate collaborative work with BI Analysts and end users
- Understanding of report development tools such as SQL, PS Query, XML Publisher, or other similar tools.
- Ability to read technical documentation and architecture artifacts.
- Familiar with ITIL processes: incident, change, and release management.
- Familiar with change, incident and project management methods and systems.
- Understanding of system analysis, business analysis, and requirements development and able to utilize such information in analyzing and solving complex problems.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently in designing and implementing technical solutions.
- Ability to analyze technical and functional aspects of a program and troubleshoot complex issues, take corrective actions and implement improvements.
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment and possess the flexibility and adaptability to changing requirements is required.
- Ability to translate needs analysis results into functional designs and to develop and learn new technical skills quickly.
- Excellent conceptual, analytical, problem-solving and communication skills
- Ability to communicate data and systems structures and relationships visually through systems, flow and use-case diagrams
- Ability to maintain harmonious work relationships with staff, students, faculty and University officials and the general public.
- Proficient with the use of MS Office products: Word, Excel, Visio and Powerpoint.
- Requires excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Must have a service oriented mindset with the ability to organize and prioritize tasks while transferring knowledge and expertise to empower clients and users.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- In order to function effectively, this person will often work independently, requiring initiative and motivation.
- This person will participate in aligning and organizing project and personal work items with communicated team priorities.
- Repetitive wrist/finger motions with use of a computer.
- Speaking and hearing demands.
- Computer usage for extended periods of time.
- Able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Able to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Able to lift, bend, grasp, pull, reach.
- Able to lift up to 20 lbs occasionally.
- Ability to read from computer screens and other forms of written documentation for extend periods of time.
- Pleasant office setting, comfortable temperature.
The following technologies are typical of the context within which the Data Modeler/ETL Developer will work, though this is not intended to be an exhaustive list. As such, the DM/ETL Developer must have experience with, or be able to adapt quickly to these types of technologies.
- Oracle Warehouse Builder
- Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition
- Oracle/PeopleSoft for Higher Education (Campus Solutions, HCM, Finance)
- PeopleTools 8.4 and higher.
- Oracle Database
- Integration technologies, XML and Web Services
- Reporting tools such as SQL, PS Query, etc.
- BI Analytics tools such as Tableau
- Productivity tools such as Microsoft Office and/or Google Docs
- Email tools such as Microsoft Outlook and/or GMail
Please apply onnline at: