The Department of Civil Engineering in the Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Information Technology invites nominations and applications for the position of Chair and Professor #65362. Georgia Southern University (www.georgiasouthern.edu ), a member institution of the University System of Georgia and a Carnegie Doctoral/Research University, is one of Georgia’s premier universities. A residential university serving more than 20,000 students, Georgia Southern is recognized for providing all of the benefits of a major university with the feeling of a much smaller college. Founded in 1906, the University offers more than 100 campus-based and online degree programs at the baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral levels through eight colleges. In 2012, Georgia Southern was named one of the top 10 most popular universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The more than 700 acre park-like campus is located in Statesboro, a classic Main Street community near historic Savannah and Hilton Head Island.
The department offers Bachelor of Science degrees in Civil Engineering and Construction Management. While the Construction Management program is accredited by ACCE, the Civil Engineering Program is pursuing initial accreditation by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET. Graduates are prepared to start their own companies or join companies throughout the world with expertise and practical knowledge in all fields of engineering and Construction Management. Students are encouraged to participate in undergraduate research under the guidance of faculty mentors. Students are engaged at the national level through presentations and publications at national academic and industry conferences.
Position Description: Reporting to the Dean of the Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Information Technology the Chair and Professor will provide leadership for the teaching, scholarship, and service mission of the department. The chair will advance a culture of academic excellence where distinction in teaching, research, and service is expected and rewarded. The chair will provide leadership for curriculum development, assessment of student learning, scheduling, research programs, and initiatives that further the department and college strategic plans. The chair will represent the department within the university community as well as maintain contacts with industry, alumni, and external stakeholders. The position is a12-month, tenured (depending on qualifications) or tenure-track appointment, and the salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position requires teaching, research, and service along with a terminal degree.
• Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering/Management, or closely related fields
• Credentials and a record of teaching and scholarship in the discipline or related areas consistent with those of tenured faculty members holding the rank of full professor at the time of appointment at Georgia Southern University
• Experience with ABET and/or ACCE accreditation
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated strong leadership ability to enhance department growth
• Experience relevant to recruiting, developing, and retaining high achieving faculty• Experience relevant to growing a new graduate program or directing a graduate program
• Experience managing a departmental budget as a departmental chair or equivalent
• Teaching and research experience in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering/Management, or related areas
• Experience developing partnerships with industry leaders in the public and private sectors
• Professional Engineering (PE) licensure within the United States or Canada
• Demonstrated experience with development and fundraising activities
Screening of applications begins February 10, 2013 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is July 1, 2013. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above including statements about your leadership style, research, teaching, and service philosophies; curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. David A. Williams, Search Chair, Search #65362
Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Information Technology
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 7995
Statesboro GA 30460-7995
Electronic mail: CEIT@georgiasouthern.edu 
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu  or http://ceit.georgiasouthern.edu/ce/ . Georgia Southern University seeks to recruit individuals who are committed to working in diverse academic and professional communities and who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and professional service within the University and beyond. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA to participate in the search process should contact the Associate Provost.