The Administrative Assistant to the Vice President for Student Affairs is responsible for supporting the Vice President in meeting the mission of the division of Student Affairs at Hofstra University. Responsibilities for this position include support of the division’s programs and initiatives, staff personnel issues, and facilitating the interaction of the Vice President with campus and community members. The Administrative Assistant is expected to forge productive working partnerships with colleagues to enhance the contributions of the Division of Student Affairs within the larger community.
The ideal candidate will be a skilled communicator, familiar with all methods of office and administrative operations, as well as the issues, trends, and concerns for students and institutions of higher education. The Administrative Assistant should be an independent worker and a self-starter who gets along well with others. The candidate must be an excellent writer, understand style and editing conventions, and have experience communicating via the Internet, email, Facebook, and other communications media.
The successful candidate will be a committed and experienced professional with a collaborative disposition, ability to think critically and creatively, excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills, a service orientation, and a participatory leadership style.
• Manage the Vice President’s calendar; coordinate meetings for committees, divisional events, programs, and events.
• Coordinate the Vice President’s initiatives, committees, and special assignments.
• Assist the Vice President with taskforces and committees.
• Monitor and coordinate flow of correspondence-related assignments within the office.
• Oversee the Vice President’s office records organization and maintenance system.
• Provide internal and external communication as needed.
• Draft reports and correspondence for Vice President including budget databases, performance reports, and analysis, personnel records, etc.
• Assist the Vice President in special projects such as assessment reporting, office evaluations, accreditation reports, etc.
• Responsible for the Vice President’s travel arrangements.
• Research policies in support of requests and inquiries.
• Coordinate projects, events, and communication of information from the Vice President’s office, such as conferences, workshops, retreats, staff meetings, dinner and discussion programs, and other special events as they arise.
• Exercise judgment and independent initiative; handle time sensitive matters that require concise problem solving and a high degree of confidentiality.
• Attend applicable training sessions.
• Related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and three years of progressively responsible administrative/executive level support experience.
• Experience in developing and managing integrated administrative and communications activities.
• Technological competence, computer mastery using database software (Access and Excel), Microsoft Word, and social media technologies.
• Proven aptitude as a communicator including superior written, oral, and presentation skills and the ability to constructively edit others' work.
• Ability to work under tight and changing deadlines and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Proven skills in project management, organized, attention to detail.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
• Availability to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
• Passion for excellence.
• Maturity and judgment, self-motivated/take initiative. Flexible; adapt well to change; manage risk and uncertainty with poise.
• Possess ethical decision making skills, discretion, and sound judgment.
• Prior Administrative Assistant experience in higher education.
For full consideration, complete application must be received by December 7, 2012. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. Interested individuals must send a letter describing their interest in and qualifications for the position, a résumé, a Hofstra University job application form (available as an Additional Resource on the Hofstra University Job Opportunities webpage), and contact information - including phone numbers and e-mail addresses- for four references. Information should be sent electronically (Microsoft Word or PDF attachments preferred) to:
Sandra S. Johnson Ed.D
Vice President for Student Affairs
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.