Shawnee State University, the regional state university of Southern Ohio, is seeking highly qualified candidates to fill the position of Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Reporting to the Provost, this full-time administrative position is responsible for providing dynamic leadership and a clear vision for the College of Arts and Sciences, maintaining and strengthening the quality of academic programs and faculty, and working with the Provost and the other deans to help fulfill the university’s educational mission. The Dean is the “face of the college” in the community and must be connected to the needs of the community and region, occasionally teaches courses as needed and desired. A detailed job description can be viewed at: www.shawnee.edu/employment .
Minimum Qualifications and Abilities Required:
• Significant academic experience in at least one field represented by the academic programs of the college, while also having familiarity with the broad array of fields in the college.
• Earned doctorate and a strong record of teaching, scholarship, and service consistent with the tenured academic rank of professor.
• Relevant administrative experience, including managing a promotion and tenure system and an understanding of working in a collective bargaining environment.
• Interpersonal and communication skills needed in order to work effectively with community and university members; manage the assigned staff collegially and to communicate clearly and concisely.
• Analytical skills needed in order to identify needs and goals, develop and design services to meet those needs and to analyze the effectiveness of services rendered.
For consideration: Candidates must submit, as part of their application for this position, a cover letter (specifically addressing how his/her qualifications meet the stated requirements of the position), current vita, and the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) professional references to: Director of Human Resources, Shawnee State University, 940 Second Street, Portsmouth, Ohio 45662-4344. Resumes may be submitted electronically to HR@shawnee.edu . Best consideration will be given to applications received on or before January 15, 2013. Position is open until filled. Expected hire date for this position is July 1, 2013. Background check and official transcript required prior to hire. Additional information about the University can be found at www.shawnee.edu .
SSU seeks individuals who share our commitment to students as our first priority.
SSU is an AA/EOE