The University of Rochester is one of the country's top-tier research universities. Our 158 buildings house more than 200 academic majors, more than 2,000 faculty and instructional staff, and some 9,300 students - approximately half of whom are women.
Learning at the University of Rochester is also on a very personal scale. Rochester remains one of the smallest and most collegiate among top research universities, with smaller classes, a low 9:1 student to teacher ratio, and increased interactions with faculty.
Location: Central Admin-SrVP Advancement
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Full Time 40 hours Grade 058 Ofc Sr Vice Pres Advancement
8 AM-5 PM; OCCAS WKENDS
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Medical Center Advancement (Asst VP), the Director of Advancement (DOA) will play a lead role in the significant growth of philanthropy from patient, families, alumni and friends. The DOA will have a portfolio of approximately 150 major gift prospects to cultivate and solicit, and will be a role model through his/her activity level. In addition, the DOA will be the "subject matter expert" for his/her focus areas/assigned department.
The DOA is expected to be a full and active member of the Medical Center Advancement team and the broader University Advancement team, participating in strategy and planning, and contributing his/her ideas and counsel particularly as relates to his/her assigned areas.
Under direction from the Asst VP, and with broad latitude for independent action, the DOA will:
- Manage a portfolio of 150 of top prospects and donors for the assigned departments/focus areas to maximize their philanthropic contributions.
- Lead by example through exemplary individual fundraising activity/results:
- Annually make 175 -200 visits;
- Annually make 20-30 major gift and 50-60 GEC solicitations;
- Annually close 7-10 major gifts and 20 or more GEC gifts.
- Develop written strategies, documented in OASIS, for each assigned prospect, ensuring information is up-to-date, especially proposals.
- Ensure the top 25 donors for the assigned departments/focus areas have an updated and personalized stewardship plan and that such plan is implemented.
Physician / Faculty Communication
- Will build strong relationships with physicians and faculty, developing a deep understanding of their work and the departments' strengths and priorities.
- Will meet at monthly with key faculty and department chairs in areas of focus to learn content, discuss prospects, report results.
- Will work closely with URMC Advancement, central Advancement and others to develop a compelling case for support in his/her assigned areas.
- Will be a full partner with University Advancement, providing information, facilitating contact with faculty and prospects, going on joint visits to prospects. Open communication and partnership will fully leverage University Advancement's resources to achieve the Medical Center and University goals.
- Through appropriate delegation to MC Advancement program specialists, manage and provide direction to boards and volunteers, creating a meaningful experience for them to support the organization.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President of Advancement.
The incumbent must have a Bachelor's degree; a Master's degree is preferred. He/She should have approximately 10 years of fundraising experience with at least 5 years of successful major gift work.
How To Apply
All applicants must apply online.
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer.