Job ID: 2012-40376
# Positions: 1
Posted Date: 11/26/2012
Division: Ross University
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
FLSA Status: No FLSA Required (Ross Islands Only)
About Ross University:
About Ross University School of Medicine
Ross University School of Medicine was founded in 1978 and is a provider of medical education offering a doctor of medicine degree program. Located in Dominica, West Indies, the School of Medicine has clinical education centers in Miami, FL and Saginaw, MI and places more graduates into US residencies annually than any other medical school in the world.
About Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine
Ross University is a provider of medical and veterinary education, offering doctor of medicine and doctor of veterinary medicine degree programs. Founded in 1982 and located in St. Kitts, the School of Veterinary Medicine is affiliated with 22 AVMA-accredited US veterinary schools where students complete their clinical year. The University’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital is the only facility outside the US and Canada accredited by the American Animal Hospital Association. Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine is committed to improving the well-being of people and animals in the St. Kitts and Nevis community through service, education and research.
Center for Teaching and Learning - faculty positions
Ross University School of Medicine, located on the beautiful Caribbean island of Dominica in the West Indies, invites applications for faculty posts as Instructor/Assistant Professor in the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL). Our mission is to prepare highly dedicated students to become effective, successful physicians in the United States. Basic science coursework is taught in Dominica and students then complete their clinical studies in the United States. After passing all prerequisite examinations, Ross graduates are licensed to practice medicine in all 50 states of the U.S. Ross University School of Medicine is a division of DeVry, Inc (NYSE:DV)
Education is the primary focus of the faculty. The academic year is divided into three semesters with a new class of students admitted each semester. Lectures and other educational responsibilities continue throughout the year.
- There are currently three open positions available in CTL. We are keen that one of these positions be filled by an individual with demonstrable experience and success in application of educational technology to medical education.
Effective teachers are sought, particularly individuals who are interested in improving medical education and who work well in a team. Research opportunities exist, primarily in the area of medical education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Working with medical students, particularly academically “at risk” students within the academic support program, the suitable candidate will become an active member of a faculty team involved in:
- Small group and individual interventions for the enhancement of students’ academic literacy
- Utilization of diagnostic interviews and assessments for identification of students’ specific learning strengths and weaknesses
- Selection, refinement and implementation of study and test-taking skills training, specifically aimed at enhancing learning
- Facilitation of small group exploration of medical science course material and multiple choice questions
- Use of enquiry-based learning to improve critical reasoning skills
- Collaborative development of teaching and learning materials
- Liaison with basic science and counseling departments
- Evaluation of written work based on the medical science curriculum
- Training and development of upper-class students as peer tutors
- Facilitation of small group Problem-Based Learning in the general student population
A Master's Degree or PhD in an Education-related field or one of the basic sciences relevant to medicine.
Desired skills and experience:
- Logic and critical analysis
- Good understanding of basic science concepts
- Strong interest in the theory and psychology of learning
- Teaching experience, preferably in small group format
- Competency in Information technology
- A minimum of two year's teaching experience
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.