Job ID: 2010-15342
# Positions: 1
Posted Date: 4/13/2011
Division: DeVry University
Employment Type: Temporary Part-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
About DeVry University:
About DeVry University
Founded in 1931, DeVry University is one of the largest, private sector universities in North America, with more than 76,000 students enrolled in the United States and Canada. The university’s mission is to foster student learning through high-quality, career-oriented education integrating technology, business, science and the arts. With more than 90 locations, DeVry University delivers practitioner-oriented undergraduate and graduate degree programs  onsite and online that meet the needs of a diverse and geographically dispersed student population. Home to five colleges of study, including Business & Management, Engineering & Information Sciences, Health Sciences, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Media Arts & Technology, DeVry University’s outstanding faculty members, work in the fields that they teach, providing students with real-world experiences that prepare them for high-growth careers.
DeVry University is institutionally accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, www.ncahlc.org . DeVry University, a part of DeVry Inc. (NYSE: DV), is based in Downers Grove, Ill. For more information about DeVry University, find us on Twitter @DeVryUniv, Facebook /DEVRYUNIVERSITY or visit newsroom.devry.edu. 
This position is responsible for teaching BIOS-270 (Foundations of Microbiology and Chemistry with Lab). This course introduces basic foundations of chemistry and microbiology using an integrated approach for conceptual and teamwork strategies. Coursework emphasizes practical aspects of the two disciplines through total integration and problem-solving approaches. Basic, organic and biochemistry, including cellular structure and function; characteristics, classification, physiology and pathology of microorganisms; and applied and environmental microbiology are included. The qualified Instructor will be responsible for a variety of tasks such as: developing new strategies to teach the course, preparing handouts, exams and assignments and maintaining positive classroom relationships with students.
This position will be based out of our Arlington (Crystal City), VA Campus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Develop strategies to teach the course content including instructional objectives, assignments, textbooks, weight of grades and delivery methods.
2. Develop and provide to students with an approved DeVry University syllabus that follows a template established by the local campus. And, successfully delivers each course covering the terminal course objectives indicated in the Curriculum Guide.
3. Organize, prepare and regularly revise/update all materials for the courses they are responsible for teaching.
4. Model exceptional verbal and written communication.
5. Organize and sequence topics in a logical progression and paces the delivery to meet the needs of the course requirements.
6. Utilize related technology (such as PowerPoint, remote access to syllabi and grades, classroom projection systems, course related software, website content, online courses or course components with interactive capabilities) to enhance learning.
7. Establish positive classroom relationships with students by being actively engaged in the classroom and lab. Provides opportunities for in-class discussions and questions and displays enthusiasm about the students, the subject matter, and the learning process.
8. Incorporate higher-level learning (i.e. application, analysis, synthesis and evaluation) by giving students opportunities to develop information literacy and problem-solving skills, and by connecting their current study to lab assignments and previous/future study in the related disciplines.
9. Ensure that the content and level of material included on exams has been adequately covered in class.
10. Design assignments and tests to conform to the objectives of the Curriculum Guide.
Master's degree required with at least 18 graduate credit hours in a related field. Minimum of 3 years related industry and/or academic experience. Prior teaching experience is required. Must have required subject matter expertise, outstanding oral and written communication skills, excellent motivational and instructional skills and ablility to facilitate diverse groups. Candidates need to be able to teach in an online and classroom learning environment. The successful candidate must have the ability to assist students in the design, development, implementation, and management of small to mid-sized team projects. Most of our campus classes meet only once per week but all courses are integrated with a supporting website called eCollege. Faculty and students are required to use the website throughout the week between class meetings.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.