George Mason University
Arlington Public Information Manager
The George Mason University, University Information unit within University Relations seeks an outgoing, innovative and dedicated leader to serve as Public Information Manager for the Arlington campus.
The Arlington Public Information Manager is a leader responsible for campus information and visitor services on the Arlington campus. This includes managing the daily desk operations, student training, staffing and scheduling of the Arlington Information Centers; collaborating with the department director and the Arlington campus management team; attending meetings and working effectively with other academic and administrative departments on the vision for information and visitor services as well as customer service at the Arlington campus; developing positive relationships within the department, division and with the faculty, staff and students across all Mason campuses; managing and serving as the conduit of the internal distribution of information campus-wide to accomplish the updating of the Arlington campus Web site, writing news stories, preparing hours of operation, monitoring of a the Arlington listserv and Arlington Alerts, and coordination of the online weekly announcements; and other department-wide projects. Providing direct customer service at the information desk for 8-15 hours/week is essential.
The primary Arlington Information Desk is open five days a week, 10 to 12 hours a day; and is staffed with one manager and up to four graduate students. They provide information on all aspects of the university with specific emphasis on the Arlington campus; directory information; directions around campus, to the other campuses, and in the community; hours of operation; and information about departments, classes, services, locations, events on the campuses, and events in the buildings.
– Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, college student personnel, a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
– Excellent research and MS Office computer skills;
– Proven experience managing a diverse staff to be able to coach and supervise student employees, and experience in a customer service environment;
– High level of professionalism, a strong customer service philosophy, and solid presentation skills;
– Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
– Develop networks and partnerships through positive interpersonal skills to build rapport and relationships with faculty, staff, students, visitors, administrators, and academic and administrative departments;
– Work well in a fast-paced environment, and possess initiative to meet multiple priorities and quick deadlines;
– Have high attention to detail to successfully implement policies and procedures;
– Reliable and able to work a flexible schedule;
– Successful experience working with a diverse clientele;
– High project management skills for planning and prioritizing projects to meet deadlines, and make informed judgments with minimal direction from supervisors;
– Research, write and edit for publications, public documents, and presentations; and
– Represent Mason in a professional and collaborative manner, as well as projecting and promoting the department in a competent and friendly manner.
– Master’s degree;
– Experience in a university setting is highly preferred;
– Advanced proficiency with university databases, Web development software, and desktop publishing; and
– Ability to analyze the organizational operations and understand basic financial principles.
This is a classified position with a generous benefits package. We offer a collaborative, fast-paced, creative, and student-friendly environment. This position reports to the Director of University Information.
For full consideration, applicants must apply online at http://jobs.gmu.edu  for position number 01563z by January 16, 2013; complete the staff application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references with their contact information. EOE