The City University of New York (CUNY) is the nation's leading urban public university serving more than 480,000 students in a wide range of educational programs at 24 colleges and institutions in New York City.
Job ID: 6006
Under general direction, with the widest latitude for the use of independent judgment and initiative, serves as a principal assistant to a higher level Administrative Superintendent, a Chief Administrative Superintendent, or other College executive in one or more areas, such as the cleaning, operation, maintenance, repair and improvements to the physical plant and grounds of a community or senior college. Assists a higher level administrator in the assignment and supervision of staff to ensure the safe and effective operation and maintenance of the plant, mechanical equipment and grounds. Directs buildings and grounds staff in all repair and service requests and makes inspections to determine the need for actual and preventive maintenance. Plans and directs the rehabilitation, improvement, and repair work involving alterations to buildings and grounds, such as painting, electrical work, heating, ventilating, and air conditioning plant repairs, plumbing, masonry work, carpentry, gardening, and horticulture work; or prepares bid specification for the performance of such work by contractors.
Administrative Superintendent Buildings-Grounds
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers bachelors and masters degrees and participates in the doctoral programs of the Graduate School of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many on-going developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.
This position is hands on, with specific duties for managing the building wide custodial services and housekeeping staff, maintenance, painting, laborer, and overall building cleaning including overseeing the management of all associated trades. This position is included in the College's essential personnel list, and as such must respond to and assist with managing any and all emergencies including snow, hurricane, flooding, and other OEM designated or building/campus emergencies. The Administrative Superintendent must be able to work flexible/rotating work schedules as per the College's needs.
In addition to the general duties, the Administrative Superintendent will also be required to:
- Recruit, interview, and hire staff.
- Create specific job/post assignments and task lists for line staff personnel including specific expectations and supervision of policies and procedures for all subordinate Supervisors at all campus locations.
- Oversee staff time and leave record keeping, annual leave schedules, and balances.
- Document performance, including written accommodations, annual staff evaluation meetings, and written reviews.
- Develop and implement extensive and continuous training programs for custodial services and other staff in all aspects of building cleaning and maintenance systems, equipment, chemical use and storage, EHS compliance, customer service, recycling, new hire orientation, and special post requirements.
- Become familiar and knowledgeable with all HVAC, electrical, plumbing fire safety systems and equipment, renovation and capital projects underway, special event support, and overall campus operations.
- Use computer programs including Archibus work order system to manage the day to day operations and maintenance of all cleaning and custodial/laborer/maintenance/painting staff work flow and performance.
- Coordinate with other Facilities Management department supervisors, event planners, and other key staff to insure all of the daily facilities services required are in place.
- Implement and maintain all exterminating, trash removal and handling, recycling, green product use, cleaning and maintenance of specialty floor, glass, metals, and other specialty building finish systems.
- Research and purchase custodial equipment and supplies.
- Maintain accurate control and issuance of inventory for all materials, supplies and equipment.
- Develop and implement complex management operating and monitoring systems, schedules, protocols and reports for manpower utilization, performance, and supervision to insure the entire campus has a fully integrated and operational custodial and housekeeping management system resulting in a consistent high level of building maintenance and cleanliness.
- Assume responsibility in the absence of higher level Administrative Superintendent.
- Perform related assignments as assigned .
1.A Baccalaureate degree in related field of study from an accredited college and four years of related experience of which two years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience in the management and/or operation and maintenance of buildings and grounds such as large hotels, educational complexes, large office buildings, or large building complexes large gardens or parks; OR
2.A valid New York State Registration as an Architect and 3 years of related experience of which one year must be full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
3.A valid New York State Professional Engineer's license and 3 years of related experience of which one year must be full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
4.A valid New York City High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer's license, a four year high school diploma or its equivalent, and six years of related experience of which four years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
5.A four year high school diploma or its equivalent and eight years of related experience of which four years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
6.A combination of education and/or experience equivalent to 1,2,3,4 and 5 above. In addition an advanced degree in a managerial field from an accredited college may be substituted for an additional year of managerial/administrative experience. However, all candidates must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent, and three years of related experience of which one year must be managerial / administrative as described in 1 above.
Preferred Qualifications include:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel with experience operating other complex Facility related computer software systems
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please click "Apply Now" below. Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
December 19, 2012 (Search re-opened)
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.