SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
● A four-year college of the 64-campus State University of New York (SUNY)
● Total enrollment – fall 2011: 1,823 with 1,232 members of the Regiment of Cadets
● The oldest and largest maritime college in the country
● Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture programs are ABET accredited
● Home of the Empire State VI, a 17,000 ton, 565-foot training ship
● Cadets travel to foreign countries during three Summer Sea Terms
This is a paraprofessional academic library appointment with primary responsibility for the coordination and management of circulation services, including patron services, course reserves, student workers, and stack maintenance. Secondary responsibility includes processing interlibrary loan and new periodicals.
Manages circulation and reserve operations using the Library’s integrated online system.
• Provides prompt, courteous, and efficient customer service to patrons and refers inquiries to other Library staff as appropriate.
• Resolves user complaints and ensures user compliance with Library and campus policies.
• Assists with the Library’s opening and closing procedures.
• Collects and compiles statistics and prepares reports as needed.
• Oversees stack maintenance for the Library’s collections.
• Supervises student assistants, including hiring, scheduling, and training.
• Processes interlibrary loan requests using the Library’s ILL automated system.
• Maintains state of the Library’s physical environment; reports routine and emergency problems as arises.
• Processes and files current periodicals; maintains new acquisitions displays.
• Performs/assists with other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required and a minimum of two years of public service experience in an academic library or a combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
• Knowledge of the organization, principles, and philosophy of an academic library.
• Demonstrated experience in circulation and reserve services and procedures.
• Extensive knowledge of integrated library systems specific to circulation and reserve functions, knowledge of Ex Libris’ Aleph system preferred.
• Experience in customer service; demonstrated skills in communicating with students, faculty and staff in an academic environment.
• Ability to deal with library users concerns and exercise good judgment in resolving and/or referring non-routine situations.
• Demonstrated experience/knowledge of data and software formats such as word processing, spreadsheets, bibliographic utilities, online databases, resource sharing systems, and web resources/applications; strong working knowledge of computer hardware.
• Supervisory experience; ability to train, delegate and evaluate student assistants.
• Ability to work independently, plan, organize, prioritize, and complete projects by target dates.
• Strong public service orientation, excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, exceptional interpersonal skills, and excellent phone etiquette.
The Library Circulation Coordinator is a United University Professional position. The incumbent will be offered a one-year contract with opportunity for renewals. The anticipated salary for the position is $40,000 annually, with an outstanding benefits package.
Special Notes: This is a full time calendar year appointment UUP position. Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Those interested please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to www.sunymaritime.edu/hr  and click "APPLY NOW". Returning Applicants - Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.