Share your passion for science!
Occidental College advances a technologically dynamic, collaborative, and accessible liberal arts and sciences environment. We seek an innovative science specialist to join our diverse team of disciplinary experts, librarians, and academic technologists as we cultivate, deliver, and support information resources and technologies.
Share your passion for science!
Occidental College advances a technologically dynamic, collaborative, and accessible liberal arts and sciences environment. We seek an innovative science specialist to join our diverse team of disciplinary experts, librarians, and academic technologists as we cultivate, deliver, and support information resources and technologies. Within this stimulating and collegial environment, you will have the opportunity to invoke skills in course design, field and lab methodologies, instructional technologies, and scholarly resources and research.
Reporting to the Head of Instruction and Research Support, the Instruction and Research Specialist for the Sciences is a member of the Information Resources/Scholarship Technology team. In consultation with faculty and team members, he/she plans, delivers and supports a technologically dynamic, collaborative and accessible 21st century teaching, learning and research environment across the sciences.
ROLES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
• Works directly with science faculty to realize college and departmental learning goals.
• Consults with faculty in the sciences to develop and deliver a suite of services that support the integration of information resources and technology in their teaching and research, with special emphasis on quantitative data collection, analysis, and curation.
• Delivers group instruction and/or consults individually with students regarding research methods and scholarly practices across the sciences, in addition to addressing issues of computational, geospatial, and statistical fluency.
• Supervises student workers.
• Assesses work activities, analyzes evaluative data, and compiles and reports same -- as required.
• May oversee or participate in a range of relevant special projects.
• Actively tracks emerging trends in pedagogy and technology across the sciences; avidly experiments with new approaches to scholarly content creation/presentation.
• Master’s in a science, Instructional Design or Technology, or Library and Information Science; Ph.D. welcome.
• Demonstrated expertise using a range of science data resources; experience with geospatial and statistical tools; working knowledge of various methodologies and technologies associated with the sciences.
• 3-5 years experience in an academic setting teaching, providing technology and student/faculty research support in the sciences; experience at a liberal arts college preferred.
• Excellent project management, communication, and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and creatively as a team member or independently.
• Propensity to be curious and innovative; not risk-averse.
Please submit: a.) your current CV or resume, b.) a cover letter that specifically addresses how your experience and skills “fit” this position, and c.) your salary history to: email@example.com .