The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology of the State University of New York, invites applicants and nominations for the position of Part Time IT Assistant.
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Photography Department.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The School of Art and Design offers 17 degree programs and is home to fashion majors, a breadth of visual communication majors and fields as unique as toy design and visual presentation and exhibition design.
Art and Design faculty are industry professionals and foster meaningful curriculum that seeks to maximize the creative and technical potential in each student. Each major in the School of Art and Design is committed to stimulating analytical and independent thinking and faculty are committed to enriching student knowledge of global influences. Faculty members prepare students for entry and advancement in art and design careers and provide a collaborative environment that offers a rich and diverse array of interdisciplinary art and design-related projects and competitions.
The Photography program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to become viable candidates for a variety of positions within the photography industry and related fields. The programs achieve this by offering learning experiences in a wide range of photographic genres. Students investigate, critically analyze and visually solve problems they will encounter when producing imagery for editorial, advertising, photojournalism and fine art markets.
The Photography Department at FIT seeks a highly experienced lens-based media artist well-versed in digital-video and still photographic processes. The ideal candidate will utilize their professional experience for the development and instruction of courses in both the Photography Department, and the anticipated interdisciplinary Film and Media program. S/he will be prepared to teach all levels of digital still photography, digital-video production, audio recording, post-production courses for both still and video, and be adept at developing critical discourse in the classroom throughout all courses. S/he will also have exhibited strong leadership and administrative skills, and will take a lead role in the long term development of the video production classes for the Photography Department. Interdisciplinary and collaborative skills are imperative; the ideal candidate will liaise with various academic departments throughout the institution in the future development of curricular activities.
We seek a faculty member who will effectively communication with students and help them achieve their educational goals. S/he will be expected to contribute to the department, school, and college beyond the classroom with curriculum development, committee service and participation in college-wide events.
Six (6) years of professional experience creating photographic and film/video work made with the expressed intent of having public viewing to include, but not be limited to, editorial publication, advertising campaigns, exhibitions, film festivals, etc.
An MFA degree is strongly preferred. Three (3) years of teaching experience in higher education preferred.
Successful candidates will demonstrate abilities in the following areas;
· Possess the ability to organize and lead committees, take on special initiatives both for the college and the department.
· A continued focus on creative and scholarly work specific to the discipline.
· Embrace the role of faculty as facilitators, mentors, and integrators of information and knowledge.
· Possess a passion for learning with the ability to inspire interest, curiosity and creativity in students.
· Demonstrate responsiveness to industry changes and/or practices including technology, with the ability to incorporate those changes into a progressive curriculum.
· Ability to use effective technology and electronic information to deliver course material to students.
· Design classroom and other learning experiences that foster critical thinking, problem solving, information literacy skills and creativity.
· Commit to developing initiative that expands a student culture and student awareness.
· Demonstrate an ability to situate photography within greater global and cross-disciplinary concerns.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate through technology and adapt to college course management and FIT technology.
· A commitment to maintaining updated technological skills and knowledge.
· A high level of technological skills relating to software widely used in the photography and video industry.
Salary and appointment rank are based on education level and cumulative experience.
Please note that a background check is required for appointment to this position.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.
Applications will be accepted and considered until the position is filled. Salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience.
For full consideration, please submit:
· A letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position;
· Curriculum vitae;
· Contact information for three professional references, (including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail) to fitnyc.interviewexchange.com.
· Please provide a link (as an attachment to Interview Exchange) with an online portfolio that is specifically curated for the search committee, prioritized with your most accomplished work. Up to three additional links may also be provided and can include examples of past student work, and evidence of relevant teaching experience.
Additional application materials may be requested at a later date.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at: www.fitnyc.edu