Requisition Number: 18688BR
University Job Title: Manager, Research Support
Bargaining Unit: None
Job Category: Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment: Full Time
Duration Type: Regular
Work Week: Standard - 37.5 hrs (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Work Location: Central Campus
Worksite Address: 221 Whit
1. Manages technical staff responsible for instrumentation within their specialty. Manages upkeep and maintenance of all instruments.
2. Responsible for the creation/review of operating budget and meets with the relevant authorities to set annual rates; monitors income/expenses of multiple accounts. Implements and maintains systems to record instrument usage and allow for revenue collection.
3. Remains an expert in the respective field and keeps abreast of current trends. Provides detailed analysis of research data and advises researchers/staff in experimental design, data collection and analysis. Participates in the preparation of manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
4. Stays abreast of current advancements in instrumentation, implements a plan for upgrading of existing instrumentation. Oversees installation of new acquisitions. Coordinates training, maintenance, and repairs.
5. Interacts with users to ensure appropriate instruments and methods are employed to address the particular analytical problem faced by the users.
6. Makes decisions relating to informatics support for data generated within the center. Implements a comprehensive plan for data archiving, retrieval, manipulation and accessibility.
7. Oversees the operation, use, and maintenance of research equipment. Advises researchers in samples preparation and data collection techniques.
8. Stays abreast of current research in respective field and implements new techniques.
9. Contributes to the educational endeavors of the research center. Contributes to seminars, prepares literature describing the center's capabilities and provides tours for the center.
10. Leads preparation efforts for annual, federally sponsored Shared Instrumentation Grants. Solicits input from key constituents.
11. Collaborates with regional academic institutions and select non-profit organizations. Coordinates training and schedules site visits for this user-base and provides technical services.
12. Manages a staff of employees.
13. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
Doctorate degree in Chemistry, Physics, or a related field.
Six years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education of experience.
Experience in management position at a College, University, or research organization with growing responsibilities in the area of research management.
Background Check Requirements: All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Weekend Hours Required?: No
Evening Hours Required?: No
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.