Title: Director of Communications
Position Number: 408
Hours: 40 Hours/52 Weeks
Annualized salary: Meet and Confer, Grade 17, $71,631 (Base Salary)
Reports to: Executive Deputy to the President and Board Liaison
Posting Closing Date: This posting will remain open until filled. Screening Committee will conduct initial credential review on December 10, 2012.
The purpose of this position is to maintain and enhance the brand identity of GRCC and the GRCC Foundation internally/externally and to continue to improve integrated, consistent communication of GRCC's key messages. This is achieved through facilitating communications through a variety of channels and in assistance to the President in articulating the mission, vision, and values of the college.
- Spokesperson for the College
- Provide leadership regarding the strategic direction of the Communications Department.
- Oversee the operations of the Communications Department in its service to the college and foundation.
- Assess, guide, and strengthen the capacity of the Communications Department to address the marketing and public relations needs of the college.
- Provide senior level public relations counseling to President, Board of Trustees, and Cabinet.
- Participate in strategic college-wide planning and leadership as part of the Cabinet and College Planning Council.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of the College’s communication plan, which includes all public relations, marketing and advertising activities, and crisis communications.
- Proactive and responsive with activities in pursuing relationships with the community, community leaders, and key West Michigan media.
- Responsible for the development and management of the department’s annual budget.
- Anticipate and provide what the media wants and needs, as well as regular interaction and contact with key community media people.
- Provide leadership for public relations planning, e.g., goals, measurable objectives, strategies, research, tactics, evaluation, timelines, and budget.
- Responsible for coordination of print and electronic media placement including advertising schedules and distribution.
- Responsible for project management, planning, and implementation.
- Responsible for researching and collecting information from legal, state-mandated policy, and published data and information.
- Responsible for organization of the Public Relations office as well as the Information office including payroll.
- Responsible for ensuring that the GRCC Web site’s image accurately and professionally represents the College.
- Serve on various cross-college teams and committees.
- Represent the College at various community events.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor or College president.
- Must be involved in the community and connected to community leaders.
- Must have strong project management organizational skills, ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to successfully juggle several projects at once.
- Must be self-confident, open minded, and accessible to both internal and external customers.
- Must be a positive “people person” with the ability to quickly adapt to any environment or situation.
- Proven writing, editing, and creative skills.
- Must possess excellent oral communication skills.
- Must be a systems thinker able to understand the relationship between the whole and its parts, i.e., strategic plan and day-to-day activities.
- Must possess strong facilitation skills.
- Must possess technology competence, proficiency in database management systems and related communications support software.
- Must understand what the media wants and needs.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations or related field.
- Minimum of five years in a management/leadership role in public relations, marketing or communications.
- APR certification preferred.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobopportunities . Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter, resume, 3 professional letters of recommendation, and transcript. This posting will remain open until filled. Screening Committee will conduct initial credential review on December 10, 2012. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.