Position Summary: The Princeton University Department of Computer Science seeks a System and Network Administrator to join our Infrastructure Operations group. A strong candidate will have skill level similar to SAGE Level II or III. The Infrastructure Operations group provides support for the departments centralized computing and networking infrastructure, as well as the system-level services they provide.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Perform needs analysis for department networks, servers, and storage systems; manage network
installation and cabling as appropriate; maintain documentation on network topology, port assignments,
VLAN usage, etc.; administer access to network resources; troubleshoot and resolve problems on the
infrastructure; plan and implement hardware and software upgrades as needed.
* Work closely with other staff and research groups to investigate, evaluate, and recommend solutions to
various wide-ranging information technology issues, while maintaining awareness of and respect for
industry best practices.
* Install and maintain equipment in a data center environment, including mounting rack hardware and running network cabling in production and pre-production environments
* Monitor networks and systems for both trending and troubleshooting
* Provide tier 2 user support and after-hours emergency support on a rotating basis to a diverse user base
* Create technical documentation and provide team training as appropriate
* Work on projects, attend meetings, and participate in training as assigned by the supervisor.
Essential Qualifications: * Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related field) with a minimum of 1-3 years relevant work experience.
* Experience with network concepts, networking hardware, VLANs, IP networking, routing, and firewalls.
* Experience with common network services including DNS, DHCP, SNMP and RADIUS.
* Experience in the installation, maintenance, operating, tuning, and troubleshooting of Unix (Linux, Solaris) and related systems and software.
* Experience with programming and scripting languages with good programming habits and experience automating system and network administration tasks.
* Familiarity with version control systems such as Subversion, CVS, and Git.
* Ability to manage time effectively, working both independently and as part of the team.
* Strong interpersonal skills, enthusiasm for customer service, and the ability to work with students, staff, and faculty from diverse backgrounds.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to perform occasional work outside of normal business hours.
Preferred Qualifications: * Experience with HP ProCurve and Cisco network switches and routers.
* Experience with storage networks and network file systems (NFS and SMB/CIFS), including EMC/Isilon filers
* Experience using and developing open source software tools.
* Experience working in Higher Education with students, staff, and faculty.
* Experience with network and system monitoring tools such as Nagios and MRTG
* Familiarity with OpenFlow and SDN concepts and technologies.
* Familiarity with Content Management Systems such as Drupal, Media Wiki, and Wordpress.
* Familiarity with system automation tools such as Kickstart and Puppet.
* Familiarity with network printing using CUPS.
The final candidate will be required to successfully complete a background check.
Education Required: Bachelor's Degree
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled or See Position Summary.