The School of Information and Library Science at Pratt Institute invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor rank, available Fall 2014. Located in the heart of Manhattan, Pratt-SILS seeks faculty who will thrive in this culturally diverse environment and will engage with the Pratt community to pursue creative and innovative approaches to their work and to help enrich and develop the Pratt-SILS degree and certificate programs. The successful candidate will be expected to advance a meaningful research agenda in the fields of emerging technologies and information studies which should address some of the following areas: application and web development; computer programming; content management systems, open source programming; and Application Programming Interface (API); and systems integration.
- Teach three courses per semester.
- Within the context of the School’s emphasis on cultural and social informatics across libraries, serve as the course leader for the core course, Information Technologies and serve as the lead faculty in the areas of Emerging Technologies and Information Studies.
- Develop courses and help build programs in area of specialization and contribute to curriculum development.
- Develop an active and sustained research agenda.
- Publish research in peer-reviewed scholarly journals and present at professional conferences.
- Serve as an advisor to SILS students.
- Serve on School and Institute committees and participate in related school activities and institute-wide initiatives.
- Contribute to the life of the school.
- Perform all other related activities as required.
We require a PhD in Information Science or a related field such as education, computer science or digital media studies.
Candidates must demonstrate ability and strength in research and teaching in one or more of the areas of specialization through their doctoral work, scholarly publications, conference presentations and courses taught. Preference will be given to applicants with professional experience in fields related to this position, experience teaching at a university in LIS or a related field, and demonstrated potential for leadership in research and professional management. Candidates should also be active in professional organizations and must have excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
SALARY is competitive and commensurate with education, credentials and experience.
Review of applications will begin February 3, 2014 and continue until the position is filled. Please submit a letter of intent that includes a one page statement on your teaching philosophy, a one page statement on your research goals and experience, a CV, and the names and contact information of three professional references.
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE.