Northwestern Michigan College was the first comprehensive community college chartered in the State of Michigan. Since its founding in 1951, NMC has provided quality, affordable access to higher education for learners of all ages and backgrounds. NMC is integrally woven into the economic, social and cultural fabric of the region, providing leadership and support for key initiatives that shape our communities and prepare our learners for rich and meaningful lives.
Northwestern Michigan College provides lifelong learning opportunities to our communities.
NMC will be the resource of choice for higher education, lifelong learning and cultural experiences. NMC will be an essential contributor to quality of life and a vibrant economy. We will demonstrate collaborative and inventive approaches to education and training for liberal studies, careers, interests and emerging learner markets.
Facts & Statistics
- Northwestern Michigan College serves more than 50,000 learners annually-through academic credit programs, noncredit personal interest classes. organizational training and cultural activities.
- NMC serves more than 4,500 students annually in academic programs.
- More than 10,000 people participate in non-credit community education programs each year.
- NMC's average class size is 20 students.
- NMC faculty members average 15 years of teaching experience at NMC.
- The NMC Foundation, thanks to local donors, offers more scholarship dollars to more students than any community college in Michigan.
- The average earnings of a student with an NMC Associate Degree are more than one-third higher than a student with a high school diploma.
- NMC's University Center is the largest higher education partnership in Michigan, with 10 partner universities that have granted 2,000 degrees since 1995.