Monmouth College is a private college located in Midwestern Illinois.
Monmouth College, a residential liberal arts college located in western Illinois, seeks immediate applications for an energetic, experienced and highly motivated professional to serve as Assistant Controller.
Responsible for assisting the Controller and Vice President for Finance and Business with oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. Assists with all day-to-day finance operations of the college including accounting, accounts payable, financial reporting, grant accounting, payroll, and purchasing. Assisting the Controller, acts as a liaison to the external auditors. Assists Controller with the preparation and analysis of financial statements and tax reporting, as well as investment and fixed asset accounting.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assists as the chief accounting officer for the college supervising the areas of accounting, student accounts, payroll, and financial reporting.
• Provides direct supervision to key departmental staff; providing continual feedback and improvement to support the overall goals of the college.
• Provides leadership to assure best-practices performance in all areas of the college’s financial functions.
• Assists with preparation of college financial statements in accordance with FASB principles. Assists with planning and coordination of activities related to the completion of the college’s annual audit of financial statements and other compliance audits.
• Assists with accounting of all funds including restricted and unrestricted funds, endowment funds, loans, plant funds, and performs end-of-month and end-of-year closing procedures.
• Assists with the development and maintenance of an effective cash management program to ensure the short term investment of college funds in accordance with investment policies.
• Assists with the development, maintenance and monitoring of sound systems of financial internal controls for all college processes, policies and procedures to ensure the protection of college assets.
• Assists with oversight of the accounting and billing for all sponsored programs and grants.
• Assists with the preparation, analysis, interpretation and presentation of periodic financial statements for administrative management and/or review by governing boards.
• Assists with performing internal reviews of financial operations within the college.
• Works closely with the Controller to create short and long range financial decisions and planning; provides relevant data for, and participates in, meetings with the college’s senior leadership team.
• Assists with the development of the college's annual operating budget with input from appropriate personnel; assists with monitoring the budget throughout the fiscal year.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field required.
• CPA required.
• Five or more years of increasingly responsible professional experience and management in higher education or similar institution required.
• Knowledge of accounting standards related to not-for-profits and higher education and federal, state and local laws and regulations required.
• Experience in Datatel Colleague or similar administrative system is preferred.
• Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills; strong presentation skills.
• Ability to collaborate with a wide variety of personalities across all levels of the organization.
• Excellent problem solving, analytical and business skills. Strong project management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
• Proficient in complex accounting systems and a strong understanding of the use and potential of technology in the area of financial management
Physical Requirements: Work is normally performed in a typical office setting,
• Sitting in a normal seated (stationary) position for extended period of time.
• Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
• Dexterity sufficient to manipulate objects with fingers, for example operating a computer keyboard.
• Communication skills using the spoken word, discerning and conveying (exchanging) information.
• Vision sufficient to see within normal parameters.
• Hearing sufficient to hear within normal range.
• Occasionally required to move or transport (lift) items weighing up to 15 pounds.
All requirements are subject to change, with possible modifications made to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Competitive salary and attractive benefit package. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Send letter of application, resume and the names and telephone numbers of three professional references to: Michael McNall, Director of Personnel, Monmouth College, 700 E. Broadway Ave., Monmouth, IL 61462-1998 or E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monmouth College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to diversity and encourages applications from women and minority candidates