Founded in 1946,is a public, co-educational, two-year institution. The College is a unit of the sixty-four campus State University of New York System (SUNY). promotes student success and community involvement through a commitment to excellence and a spirit of service. The College has approximately 6,000 students and 82 international students.
All Mohawk Valley Community College students benefit from a variety of support services, including on campus housing, assistance in finding suitable off campus housing, health services, academic advising, personal counseling, orientation, multi-cultural and international student services and advisement, transfer services and career counseling. Mohawk Valley Community College students participate in a broad range of activities, clubs and organizations. Both intercollegiate athletics and intramural sports are available to men and women students.
was the first established in New York State. Founded in 1946 as the New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences at Utica, it was one of five post-secondary institutions established on an experimental basis after World War II. The two-year public college offered programs leading to technical and semiprofessional employment in business and industry.
In 1948, the State University of New York was created and authorized to recommend the establishment of community colleges. The College became a constituent unit of the State University in 1950. The following year, the College was authorized to grant the Associate in Applied Science degree.
In 1953, the County of Oneida assumed the sponsorship of the College, then known as Mohawk Valley Technical Institute, under the "Community College Law" section of the 1948 Education Law. This section authorized the cost of operating a community college to be shared equally through student tuition, state aid and charges to the counties of New York State.
The following year, MVCC began offering classes in Rome, New York, to better serve the needs of northern and western Oneida County. Classes were offered at the former Griffiss Air Force Base from 1954 to 1958 and again from 1969 to 1974, a branch campus was established in Rome at the current location on Floyd Avenue.
As a, MVCC saw its enrollment and facilities grow. From 1946 to 1960, the College occupied temporary quarters in New Hartford and downtown Utica. In 1960, the College moved to new buildings on an 80-acre site in southeast Utica.
The Utica Campus completed a Master Plan in 2002 that included renovating virtually every building on campus and adding a new information Technology/performing Arts/Conference center building.
The College's academic offerings have continued to expand in response to the community needs determined through community surveys. The College now offers an exceptionally wide variety of transfer, career and vocational programs.