Located in vibrant Portland, OR, Lewis & Clark College invites energetic and dynamic educators committed to developing students and positive communities to apply for the position of Director of the Department of Inclusion & Multicultural Engagement.
The Department of Inclusion & Multicultural Engagement (IME) is dedicated to supporting Lewis & Clark College’s efforts toward building and sustaining a diverse and culturally vibrant campus, which fosters a pluralistic learning environment and a sense of belonging for students.
The Director leads the daily operations of the department, and works in collaboration with Student Life leadership to advance a strategic vision, and implement programs and activities that advances campus inquiry and engagement with issues of diversity, identity, culture and social justice. In addition, the Director supports the College’s retention efforts by leading programs that assist underrepresented students in attaining college success.
More specifically, the Director will be responsible for the design, implementation and assessment of social justice and diversity education curricula and skill development; purposeful and structured outreach and engagement of recognized cultural student organizations; programs and services that positively impact campus climate for underrepresented and marginalized student populations; activities and experiences that support the development of both human and financial resources within the department.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide leadership to Division of Student Life efforts related to multicultural learning, understanding, communication and continued improvement of a welcoming institutional climate.
• Develop cultural competency training efforts for the Division of Student Life staff members, student leaders, and student employees. Design intercultural programs that are introduced to all first-year students and integrated into residential programming.
• Oversee IME signature events, such as the Week of Welcome (WoW), heritage month, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. commemoration, banquets and receptions.
• Lead the team in a shared understanding of mission, vision, signature efforts and service delivery of the office.
• Partner with campus leaders to create an environment that meaningfully and thoughtfully fosters a diverse learning and living environment on campus, and prepares students to live in a diverse world.
• Serve as a resource for the College on best practices, national trends, and campus community needs in the areas identity development, access and inclusion, intercultural issues, diversity and social justice; identify educational topics relevant to staff training and peer education models.
• Lead a small team to coordinate programs that support the institutional retention efforts with historically marginalized or underrepresented student communities and allied students and organizations.
• Actively lead’s one team to develop supportive, mentoring relationships for individual students, meeting regularly with leaders of multicultural student organizations to provide support, training and programming assistance.
• Provide collaborative leadership with students, faculty and staff supporting multicultural programming and diversity training, working closely with other departments and offices to support synergy of efforts.
• Utilize multiple assessment approaches to evaluate departmental and divisional goals and priorities.
• Supervise a team of professional staff, graduate students, and student staff and peer educators.
• Represent the Dean of Students on appointed committees. Serve as a member of the Student Life on Call (SLOC) rotating senior administrator duty and other committee work.
• Manage and administer the budget for the office and ensure the responsible planning and application of departmental and institutional resources
• Actively participates in Student Life division director’s team and select divisional projects and initiatives.
• Establish and maintain relationships and partnerships with faculty, a alumni, community partners, and other stakeholders involved in engaging the departments and supporting services and programs for students.
Lewis & Clark College will conduct background checks on the finalist(s).
Lewis & Clark College is an equal opportunity employer.