Director or Assistant Director (#498163) - Human Resources; Full-time; Salary: Commensurate with Experience; Open Until Filled.
Reports to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources (HR) and performs advanced human resources management work. Supervise daily operations for assigned functional areas within the HR Department. Functional areas include recruitment and selection, classification, wage and salary administration, employee relations, training and development, benefits administration, reporting and records management, human resources information systems, policies and procedures, and compliance with applicable federal, state, and system rules and regulations.
Responsible for performing work of considerable difficulty in the management, planning and development of activities for one or more specialized HR functions. Conducts research and analysis; studies major issues and problems to enhance services; ensures procedures are consistent with current laws and university policy.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Reviews, evaluates, and controls operations for assigned functional areas to effectively and efficiently achieve departmental and university objectives.
2. Interprets and ensures compliance with federal and state laws and regulations. Ensures all state and federal reports are filed in an accurate and timely manner.
3. Provides advice and counsel to management on human resource matters such as disciplinary issues, policy interpretation and application, and resolution to problems.
4. Coordinates and conducts human resources training activities.
5. Plans, develops, reviews, revises, and implements human resource policies or procedures.
6. Coordinates policy changes and analyzes problems related to same.
7. Counsels staff on work-related issues, rules, and regulations.
8. Approves or disapproves recommendations for appointments, promotions, demotions,
re-classifications, and dismissals.
9. Administers employee grievance procedures.
10. Plans and conducts studies or surveys to ensure adequate human resource program elements, recommending solutions to problems.
11. Develops methods or procedures for gathering, compiling, or analyzing statistical data.
12. Oversees the technology used to maintain records including document management system.
13. Plans, assigns, and supervises the work of others.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree required, plus five to seven years of professional experience directly related to the specified duties and responsibilities. At least three to five years of this experience must also include management experience. PHR or SPHR certification desirable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources management.
Knowledge of management principles and techniques.
Knowledge of alternative dispute resolution processes.
Knowledge of staffing and recruitment, job evaluation, wage and salary administration, training and development, employee relations and performance management.
Knowledge of laws, statutes, and regulations related to human resources management.
Skill in managing, organizing, and motivating staff to meet goals and objectives.
Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
Ability to investigate complaints involving human resources management practices or procedures and make sound recommendations.
Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate activities and make decisions affecting operations.
Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
Ability to analyze job requirements and prepare job descriptions.
Ability to interpret complex human resource policies and procedures. This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
HOW TO APPLY: Visit the Human Resources website (https://jobs.lamar.edu), click on Searc Jobs. Application materials must be uploaded in (pdf.) format and submitted online with the application.