Reporting directly to the Vice President for Finance Administration the Director, Budget Policy and Planning is responsible for managing budget staff through various cyclical budget and planning processes, including the capital plan, operating budget, financial indicators, formula funding, and related communication, management compliance and reporting activities. The Director will be responsible for managing projects and initiatives, preparing reports and presentations, and participating in discussion with important stakeholders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Directs the development and documentation of the University’s operating and capital budget requests.
• Provides information for internal planning and decision-making and facilitates the reporting requirements of the university.
• Assists the VP for Finance Administration and the University community in attaining their respective missions by creating and disseminating quality information for planning, budgeting, management and accountability.
• Identifies and monitors proposed legislation and developing issues in the public sector which could affect the University.
• Direct annual processes for developing and reporting University results and analyze internal and comparable external data for trends and potential issues. .
• Responsible for guidance and oversight of the strategic allocation and monitoring of funds providing financial analysis of the University’s major budgets including allocations tracking and forecasting revenue and expenses.
• Prepares special management reports for senior administration and Board of Regents officials and advises senior management and other managers in annual budget preparations.
• Evaluates requests and makes resource allocation recommendations to senior management.
• Analyzes and presents budget information and data for use in planning, policy formations and decision-making. Prepares reports and provides interpretive budget analysis.
• Responsible for budget policies and coordinating training efforts for budget managers across campus.
• Responsible for position management (i.e. responsible for creating, updating and monitoring all budgeted positions).
• Performs statistical analysis of financial and operational information to identify key drivers of financial performance.
• Support the compilation and evaluation of business plans and their associated financial projections and reporting.
• Coordinates the preparation of the University’s data submission to the Council on Postsecondary Education and other reporting agencies and is knowledgeable with respect to the University, state and federal rules, regulations, policies and statues.
• Represent the University to various departments and external agencies.
• Direct/supervise assigned staff.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment while performing multiple tasks
• Strong written and oral communication. Experience in building and leading a highly effective team.
• Advanced knowledge of public sector financial and budgeting principles and procedures.
• Strong orientation to customer service approach to working with departments and groups
• Independent thinker and proactive at engagement
• Must have strong reputation for integrity and confidentiality.
• Extensive knowledge/skills with financial system (preferable Ellucian ERP System),
databases, and MS Office Suite
• Expertise in data extraction, analysis and report presentation
• PowerPoint proficiency needed for management presentations
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
• Minimum of seven years of significant experience in managing and budgeting complex operations
and databases. Experience must include demonstrated effectiveness in budget modeling,
analysis and presentation and leadership in budget development
• Master’s degree in Public or Business Administration or a related field; CPA
• Higher education and private sector experience
• Demonstrated ability to improve and streamline processes, and to successfully lead positive
This is a full-time, 12 month administrative position with an excellent benefit package. Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Kentucky State University is a historically black university founded in 1886 as a small, land-grant, public, state-assisted, residential, coeducational, liberal studies-oriented University. It is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The University is located in Kentucky’s capital city of Frankfort (population 27,500) just 26 miles west of Lexington, 52 miles east of Louisville, and 96 miles south of Cincinnati, Ohio. The student body includes approximately 2,700 students from Kentucky and 33 other states as well as nine foreign countries. Kentucky State University is proud of its cultural, ethnic, racial and gender diversity in its faculty, staff and students. The University is committed to student-centered learning, free scholarly inquiry and academic excellence. Please consult www.kysu.edu for more information about the University.
Kentucky State University is an Equal Educational and Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action Institution.