Instructional Designer: Psychological Science
Foundry College, which teaches working adults knowledge and skills that will not soon be automated, seeks Ph.D.s in a relevant field to develop new types of synchronous online courses. In particular, we seek experts in the psychological sciences, particularly those focused on the nature of learning and memory. Each session of each course includes a mixture of lecture and active learning exercises. Applicants should be passionate about education and about helping the disadvantaged, and should have expertise in a relevant field, experience teaching, have excellent communication skills, be open to new ways of teaching, and be flexible and adaptable as the curriculum and pedagogy continue to evolve.
This position is a contract-based position with compensation based on milestones. We will also be hiring faculty to teach these courses in a part-time or full-time capacity. Benefits will be available for full-time employees.
The specific responsibilities are as follows:
I. Create detailed lesson plans for 90-minute class sessions.
- Lesson plans are developed as PowerPoint decks. On average, 30 minutes of the slides constitute a lecture, with detailed Presenter Notes beneath each slide. This lecture focuses on conveying particular practical skills and knowledge, as specified in the syllabus (which are developed separately, but can be modified if need be).
- Polls are inserted into the lecture in order to keep students engaged.
- Breakout Groups (of 2 – 8 students, as appropriate) follow the lecture, during which active learning (e.g., debates, role play, group problem solving) occurs.
- A 10-minute quiz occurs at the end of class, which assesses how well students learned the material presented in class.
II. Meet weekly with the faculty team who are developing courses
III. Iterate on each lesson plan with an Editor, who will help ensure that the lesson plans are clear and comprehensive.
- A Ph.D. in a relevant field.
- At least two years teaching experience.
- Open to new ideas; adaptable.
- Highly organized and responsible.
- High energy and entrepreneurial spirit.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter, resume, work sample, and three references to [email protected] when applying and reference the role you are applying for in the subject line.
Share this job with your network:
Diversity Profile: University
AAUP COMPENSATION SURVEY DATAView more
Apply for Instructional Designer: Psychological Science
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly