Director, Public Relations & Marketing
Golden West College
Director, Public Relations & Marketing
Salary: $102,402.00 - $136,093.00 Annually
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cccd/jobs/2287264/director-public-relations-marketing?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Plans, organizes and directs strategic communications, marketing, and outreach supporting the community college system. Plans, develops strategies, manages, and advocates for the District with internal and external relations, media relations, community outreach, and the marketing of services. Serves the President as the top public information and media communications professional and advisor.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Director, Public Relations and Marketing, is responsible for directing, coordinating, facilitating, and accomplishing the College's community relations and public information goals and strategies. The Director is also responsible for integrating outreach and communications efforts to reach the public, other government agencies, and the media. The Director requires considerable skill at and considerable experience at mobilizing and managing campus-wide efforts to support and advocate specific strategic initiatives in alignment with District-level directives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Plans, organizes, and directs the work of the Public Information and Marketing department, directing, and coordinating services that keeps staff and the community engaged, proactively addresses public affairs and information, and aggressively markets the College (and the District) to prospective and current students and alumni.
• Plans, develops, coordinates and implements programs of marketing, student recruitment, and marketing/media relations serving both internal and external audiences of the College.
• Facilitates and creates the College's image and 'branding' as well as a social media presence via mobile, PDA, and computer, with the community and its potential students, sponsors, and donors. Facilitates outreach programs to ensure presence at college and community •events, conferences, schools, and general meetings.
• Advises the President and other administrators on issues related to communications (e.g., internal communications, media relations, constituency correspondence) by producing, writing, and editing materials, advising on media relations, and preparing other information for public consumption.
• Assists and advises in communications on sensitive public issues in order to appropriately position the College with the media and general public.
• Directs the College's media relations activities, including personal contact with media, preparation of press releases and other written communications, and providing appropriate responses to media inquiries.
• Directs, prepares, and reviews press releases, public service announcements, photographs and other media materials on a regular basis that interpret the College to its internal and external publics.
• Coordinates information gathering from the divisions, departments, units, offices and individuals of the college for use in preparation of news releases. This includes working with the athletic department to enhance sports coverage.
• Develops, reviews, edits and directs production of a wide variety of communications and informational resources and materials, including fact sheets, brochures, articles, reports, news releases, advertising, and live and taped broadcasting via television and web sites.
• Develops and implements campaigns and strategies to enhance visibility with enrollment of students, including those with special needs.
• Seeks out publicity to enhance the recruitment of students and business clients who may use College resources.
• May direct the process for and development of College catalogs and related technical and promotional materials. In that capacity, manages compilation of course offerings and general information into formats and layouts suitable for public distribution and access.
• Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
Qualifications and Physical Demands
Knowledge and Skills:
The position requires professional knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of public information, public relations and community outreach programs. Requires considerable specialization in marketing communications and public information. Requires considerable knowledge of media relations. Requires considerable knowledge of methods used for student recruitment and retention. Requires knowledge of the principles and practices of promoting higher education, including fee-based services. Requires knowledge of departmental and project budgeting techniques and financial management. Requires working knowledge of the principles of management and supervision, including performance measurement. Requires skill at using a computer and peripheral office equipment for personal use and presentations. This includes software applications for spreadsheets, word processing, database management, and specialized packages/applications. Requires advanced written and oral language and human relations skills to influence internal and external customers, make formal presentations, conduct training, and to manage the performance of others. Requires sufficient math skills to perform business financial calculations and statistical analysis. Requires advanced human relations skill to adapt to diverse personalities and styles, establish harmony and cooperation with work teams inside and outside the District, facilitate group discussions, make formal presentations, apply strategy in discussions, and carry out complex negotiations.
Requires the ability to carry out all the accountabilities of the position. Requires the ability to develop and implement annual goals and objectives for a function and specific programs and promotions. Requires the ability to learn and apply applicable requirements of the education code and College policies. Requires the ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with college staff, community members, media representatives and co-workers. Requires the ability to direct and prepare press releases and other materials. Requires the ability demonstrate sound judgement and creativity in the application and interpretation of events, situations, rules and regulations. Requires the ability to write in a professional manner, proofread and edit accurately, and compile presentation-quality reports. Must be able to train and provide direction to others and to organize and manage multiple projects. Requires the ability to work flexible hours as the job requires, including evenings and weekends.
Education and Experience:
The position typically requires a Master's degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, public policy, political science, or related discipline and four years of progressive experience in marketing communications, legislative representation, community relations, and/or intergovernmental affairs. A Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Marketing and/or Communications and eight years of experience may be accepted. Or, any combination of education and experience, which would provide the minimum qualifications.
Licenses and Certificates:
Requires a valid driver license.
Experience in a higher education system
THE COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER