Vice President for Student Learning
Date of First Consideration: January 7, 2019
Salary Range: Up to $148,000 dependent on education/experience
Shoreline Community College is dedicated to equity and inclusive excellence in teaching and learning, student success, and community engagement. Shoreline serves the educational, workforce, and cultural needs of our diverse students and communities through the core themes of educational attainment and student success, program excellence, community engagement, access and diversity, and College stewardship. Shoreline Community College is a place of open inquiry and learning, with a campus that models ideals set out in our Community Standard*. We are committed to upholding a culture of free expression, as well as maintaining a supportive and respectful learning and working environment for all.
The Vice President for Student Learning (VP-SL) reports directly to the President and is the Chief Academic Officer for the College. The VP-SL will develop and coordinate the College's academic and enrollment management strategies, coordinating with the Vice President for Students, Equity & Success to assure an intentional environment in support of access, enrollment, retention, and completion within all educational programs at the College.
- Provide dynamic and innovative leadership for the College's academic programs: transfer, professional-technical, transitional studies, online learning, institutional research, international education, and continuing education.
- Promote an environment that supports the College vision, mission, and deeply held values of respect, inclusion, and student engagement while advocating for students, faculty and the College.
- Work collaboratively with the President as a member of the Executive Team (ET) to effectively implement the College's strategic plan.
- Ensure high quality and efficient delivery of Student Learning services to meet the overall goals of the College and the expectations of students and the community.
- Contribute to diversification of the College through a demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion reflected in all aspects of administration related to student learning.
- Serve as the Lead in the Joint Union/Management Committee (faculty collective bargaining implementation unit), assuring proper administration of bargaining agreements for the Office of Student Learning.
- Actively lead and support the College's efforts towards student success in access, enrollment, retention, and completion.
- Provide leadership and informal mentoring to Student Learning staff, faculty, and administrators.
- Communicate complex information clearly and concisely to multiple audiences, through a variety of media and diverse environments.
- Ensure that operational, policy, and planning decisions are data-informed and performance-based.
- Support and enhance the College's commitment to global and local diversity, social equity, and environmental sustainability.
- Provide collaborative leadership to the Office of Institutional Assessment and Data Management, ensuring the success of accreditation-related activities and reports.
- Lead as well as serve on committees and councils, working appropriately as a team player.
- Keep current with laws, regulations, and technology that may affect Office of Student Learning operations; direct the implementation of policy and procedural changes as required.
- Demonstrate the personal qualities of energy, intelligence, persuasion, approachability, openness, and innovation along with the core values of integrity, collegiality, and respect for others.
- Demonstrate global and domestic multicultural competence.
- In collaboration with the President, Executive Team, and Faculty Senate Council, lead academic policy development and program implementation and evaluation.
- Represent the Office of Student Learning within the College, at Board of Trustee meetings, in the community, and with professional organizations, state boards, commissions, and other agencies.
- Promote efficiency and creativity in the development and administration of area budgets.
- Perform other duties as assigned (of a similar nature or level).
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university
- Experience as a faculty member in a higher education setting
- Three (3) years of progressive managerial and leadership responsibility in an academic setting
- Leadership best practices, as well as effective supervision and management
- Effective budgeting principles and administering grants and contracts related to instruction
- Academic policy development and implementation, in alignment with legal guidelines
- Accreditation, including assessment of student learning outcomes and program review
- Barriers to educational success for under-represented and underserved students
- Collective bargaining and labor management in a college setting
- Applicable laws, rules, and regulations such as FERPA, ADA, Title IX, etc
- Microsoft Office applications (or similar) including Excel, Outlook, and Word programs
- Techniques for effective communication of complex data to diverse audiences
- Contributing to social equity and inclusion by fostering and helping to sustain a climate of global competency and multicultural understanding
- Supervising and evaluating staff, directly or through subordinates
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships at all organizational levels
- Directing departmental, divisional, and unit activities
- Critical analysis and problem solving
- Fostering an environment of continuous improvement through program assessment
- Time management and coordinating outcomes with multiple partners
- Clear and concise oral and written communication
- Actively listening to and incorporating feedback as well as effectively communicating decisions
- Recognizing and creating opportunities in response to emerging trends
- Interpreting applicable laws, regulations, and policies to implement best practices
- Handling sensitive situations using sound independent judgment within legal guidelines
To view full job announcement and apply, please visit http://www.shoreline.edu/jobs