Assistant Vice President, Institutional Research & Assessment
Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
Reporting to the Senior Vice-President for Planning & Administration, the Assistant Vice-President of Institutional Research and Assessment is a key leader in strengthening institutional use of data in assessment and decision making, providing leadership in developing and implementing the University’s institutional research and assessment plan to support institutional planning, policy analysis and program improvement. Supervising a staff of 5 FTEs, the AVP leads the Institutional Research and Assessment office and is responsible for projections, statistical analysis, program review and scholarship/financial aid modeling, as well as monitoring institutional progress on KPIs. In addition, this role is responsible for management of traditional IR functions, such as internal enrollment reporting, external compliance (IPEDS, NYSEDs, NCAA, accreditations, etc.), production of a Fact Book, and external agency and ranking surveys (US News, Princeton Review, etc.). Incumbent will also be responsible for monitoring the higher education landscape and trends, providing insight to leadership around long term University initiatives and decision making.
• Masters degree in statistics or quantitative social sciences. Doctoral degree preferred.
• Minimum 7+ years of experience in higher education, preferably in Institutional Research, or equivalent.
• Superior ability to summarize highly complex, statistical data to assist senior leadership with strategic decision making.
• Demonstrated success in communicating successfully with a range of stakeholders, facilitating the use of data to inform planning on multiple levels.
• Ability to engage in evidence-based planning and decision-making as well as educating and engaging the community in these activities.
• Extensive experience with quantitative methods in research and analysis, predictive modeling and projections.
• Experience working closely with various internal constituents, including Finance, Enrollment Management, Academic Affairs and Student Affairs.
• Strong leadership skills and ability to work within a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
• Proven experience making presentations to senior management and faculty.
• Experience managing, leading and mentoring a team of analysts with multiple projects and deadlines.
• Strong experience in Excel, Access, SPSS/SAS/R, PowerPoint. Familiarity with Burning Glass and Tableau or other data visualization tools is a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully and collaboratively with faculty and personnel at all administrative levels.
• Experience in working with enrollment management and other university units, assisting in projections, predictive modeling and retention analyses.
• Experience with assessing the effectiveness of University services at the program, department and institutional levels and making recommendations for institutional improvements.
• Participation in professional research, assessment, and institutional effectiveness organizations at the regional, state, and national levels, keeping current in all aspects of the profession.
• Forward thinking, innovative and proactive in analyzing and presenting data in a manner that will support evidence-based decision making.
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to: [email protected] Please indicate "AVP, Institutional Research and Assessment" in the subject line.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.