Faculty Development Coordinator – R-0316
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Department of Teaching Innovation and Learning Technologies provides FHSU faculty with opportunities for growth as professional educators and the means to learn innovative teaching strategies for all instructional environments, physical and/or virtual. Reporting to the Assistant Provost for Teaching Innovation and Learning Technologies, the incumbent is a vital member of the TILT team who is instrumental in planning and coordinating yearly programs and workshops, and assisting with other services supporting faculty development. A significant part of this position is related to the New Faculty/Staff Orientation and Workshop, as well as coordinating events throughout the academic year for first-year FHSU faculty. A key requirement of this position is the ability to consult with faculty and communicate clearly and diplomatically as part of the professional development process. It is expected that the Faculty Development Coordinator will stay up-to-date on current trend Faculty Development Coordinator s and relevant research in teaching practices, learning theory, and new technologies for instruction.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's Degree in Teacher Education, Human Resources, or another related field, with three to five years of related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of exemplary teaching practices
- The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, detail-oriented, and have excellent organizational skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google applications is necessary
- Teaching Innovation and Learning Technologies is service oriented so a flexible work style, patience, and strong people and communication skills are important.
- Teaching experience
- Excellent communication skills (writing and speaking)
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- Experience working as part of a team
- Graduate degree in education (e.g., Instructional Design, Higher Education Administration, etc.)
- Experience using one or more web-based course management systems (Bb, D2L, etc.)
- Teaching experience at the postsecondary level
- Online teaching experience
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Organizing and managing all aspects of effective event planning including registration, location, and catering;
- Communicating with certificate participants and tracking their progress toward requirements;
- Coordinate with the Provost’s office on designing and implementing the faculty and staff orientation/workshop at the beginning of each academic year;
- Facilitate and promote the new faculty lunch series throughout the year;
- Work with TILT staff to develop and offer faculty workshops on topics relevant to teaching excellence and technology enhanced learning;
- Work with TILT staff to create asynchronous professional development activities and related learning modules;
- Assisting with compiling and analyzing TILT activity for annual reports.
ANCILLARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide technical support assistance for LMS questions during peak times of the semester;
- Provide technical support assistance for other learning technologies supported by TILT including the process of piloting new technologies;
- Serve on campus committees, as appropriate;
- Coordinate with other campus entities regarding faculty development;
- Engage in professional development activities, including attending and presenting at conferences, participating in webinars, and reading current research to stay abreast of developments in the field; and
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Provost TILT.
PRIORITY DEADLINE: 06/30/17
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and names and contact information for three professional references. All required application documents should be submitted as one PDF.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit the FHSU Human Resource Office webpage at http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/ and click on Employment Opportunities. Only electronic applications submitted through Human Resources will be accepted.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Dr. Andrew Feldstein
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.