Executive Director - The Miami Urban Future Initiative
Florida International University College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts is seeking a visiting, non-tenure earning, 12-month faculty appointment to serve as Executive Director to lead the new Miami Urban Future Initiative, a collaboration with world leading urbanist Dr. Richard Florida and the leading research firm, The Creative Class Group.
Support for the Miami Urban Future Initiative is part of the Knight Foundation’s broader effort to invest in Miami’s emerging innovators and entrepreneurs as a tool to build community while fostering talent and expanding economic opportunity. The Initiative aims to fill an existing research gap on economic, entrepreneurial, creative, and technological assets in the region.
The Executive Director will have the unique opportunity to work with FIU researchers and experts and with leading thinkers and researchers across the region and the world-- combining their knowledge with that of business leaders, economic development practitioners, and other experts. This is a very unique career opportunity for those who care about cities, innovation, creative communities, economic growth, and inclusion.
Applicants should have a passion in the following areas:
- Urban Development and Cities
- Global Research and Economic Trends
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Business and Startups
- Confirmation of sufficient and pertinent academic credentials.
- A letter of application stating interest, experience, and qualifications.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Candidates will be requested to provide names and contact information for at least three references,
- To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by May 31, 2017.Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Characteristics of Applicant:
- Vision and capability to grow the new initiative; have the experience as an ED that understands audience development and stakeholder engagement
- Understands the importance of and how to construct a clear message that matches the overall brand of the initiative; be a participant in crafting that brand vision
- Energy + creativity to pioneer new formats that deliver on the brand vision
- Has the ability to toggle from "big picture/strategic" to day-to-day management
- Can support and mentor a younger staff of fellows and researchers...ability to create a collaborative, transparent environment that matches creative culture of the team
- Strategic thinker who can manage many different audiences from city officials, press, stakeholders, and donors
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage and coordinate all partners including the Knight Foundation, the Creative Class Group and FIU
- Liaise with Creative Class Group Team in support of operations (public relations, budget, event management, etc.)
- Serve as one of the public faces of the Miami Urban Future Initiative
- Secure, host, and attend meetings introducing the Initiative to key stakeholders
- Invite and host visitors
- Lead, attend and participate in all public facing events
- Lead, host, attend and participate in all roundtable discussions
- Serve as media spokesperson, when appropriate
- Create and implement a stakeholder engagement plan
- Advance key objectives of the initiative for all its partners
- Oversees the management and documentation of the stakeholder meetings
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Miami Urban Future Initiative
- Develop and implement communication plan, including social media, responsible for all website and marketing and PR efforts including press releases, blog posts, articles, briefs, etc.
- Mange all lists, including media lists, stakeholder lists, etc.
- Liaise with all FIU Partners
- Manage administrative assistant and research fellows day to day operations
- Provide editorial support for brief publications and annual report, including tracking metrics of success
- Assists the Dean and Director of Development in fundraising efforts
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit qualified funding partners
- Write proposals
- Steward existing funding partners
- The Executive Director will work closely with Miami. Our city builders and leaders need a road map to grow our economy,” says Florida. “We are thrilled that Knight Foundation is investing in the Miami Urban Future Initiative to partner with us in creating a path forward for our growing dynamic community.”
Reporting Structure: The Executive Director will report directly to FIU CARTA Dean on day to day activities, management, and operations. However, ED will work closely with the Creative Class Group on marketing, engagement, and events. All research and content will be set by Richard Florida and the Creative Class Group. ED will support those editorial and research efforts to expand the mission of the initiative.
Location: Housed at FIU CARTA’s planned facility in Wynwood, the Miami Urban Future Initiative will be active on several fronts. It will develop a series of ongoing applied research reports about Miami’s economy, convene leading thinkers and practitioners to discuss the challenges facing Miami, and host a fellows program to bring the best and brightest urban thinkers, practitioners and researchers to Miami. In addition, an executive director will be hired to help drive the ongoing conversation about Miami's evolving entrepreneurial and creative economy.
Start date: The Miami Urban Future Initiative will formally begin its research activities September 2017. Applicants should be prepared to be interviewed over the summer.
To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by May 31, 2017. Review will continue until position is filled.
Application materials should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, visit: carta.fiu.edu/creativecity/miami-urban-future-initiative
About the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation:
Knight Foundation is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy. For more, visit knightfoundation.org.
About Creative Class Group:
The Creative Class Group is an advisory services firm composed of leading next-generation researchers, academics, and business strategists. Utilizing its unique approach and metrics, CCG works with companies and governments worldwide. For more information about CCG, visit: www.creativeclass.com
Florida International University is classified by Carnegie as a “R1: Doctoral Universities - Highest Research Activity” and recognized as a Carnegie Community Engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as business, engineering, computer science, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes almost $9 billion each year to the local economy and is ranked second in Florida in Forbes Magazine’s “America’s Best Employers” list. FIU graduates are consistently among the highest paid college graduates in Florida and are among the leaders of public and private organizations throughout South Florida. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission with multiple state-of-the-art research facilities including the Wall of Wind Research and Testing Facility, FIU’s Medina Aquarius Program and the Advanced Materials Engineering Research Institute. FIU has awarded more than 220,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU@I-75, the Miami Beach Urban Studios, and Tianjin, China. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and more than 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply for Executive Director - The Miami Urban Future Initiative
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly