Director, Advising for Advanced Education in the Health Professions
Department: Health Sciences & Science Division
Reports to: Director of the Center for Education in the Health Professions & the Professor & Chair of Biology
- Support the vision and values of North Park University (NPU).
- Advance the mission of NPU to prepare students for lives of significance and service by guiding students who seek the health professions.
- Manage programs designed to facilitate the success of NPU students interested in the health professions.
- Act as the source of information for students interested in exploring the health professions.
- Assist NPU students in the health professions to graduate school application process.
- Use data related to processes and programs to continuously improve NPU’s advising and support of students interested in the health professions.
- Collaborate with departments and programs across NPU to maximize student opportunities and success.
- Maintain close relationships with faculty as collaborators in advising students and developing programs.
Inform and Recruit NPU Applicants Interested in the Health Professions
- Collaborate with the Undergraduate Admissions Office to develop and maintain marketing material for NPU applicants; support the recruitment of students interested in a health profession.
- Participate in NPU’s open houses for applicants and orientation events.
Facilitate Student Success
- Support and track the progress of students interested in the health professions; act as a second advisor in collaboration with the primary academic department adviser.
- Meet benchmarks set for admission to graduate programs in the health professions.
- Establish regular contact with students who select majors most commonly associated with the pursuit of a health profession.
- Implement a curriculum for the selection of a health profession.
- Maintain and distribute planning guides for students interested in the health professions.
- Coordinate the work of the “Pre-Professional Committee” including the process of interviews, application review, and the creation of a composite letter of recommendation for pre-med, pre-vet, pre-dental, and pre-optometry students.
- Collect and manage data on the applications, interviews, and admission processes for NPU students and graduates.
- Assist students with personal statements, secondary applications, and interview preparations for graduate programs.
- Facilitate test preparation for the entrance exams for graduate programs in the health professions (e.g., MCAT, DAT, GRE).
- Develop a working knowledge of graduate programs for the health professions across the country.
- Convey a working knowledge of the value of post-baccalaureate programs as preparation for entry into a graduate program in the health professions for some students.
- Serve as the primary advisor for students in the post-baccalaureate program.
Develop and Assess NPU Programs
- Implement surveys, focus groups, and other tools to regularly assess student satisfaction with programs and services designed to support students interested in the health professions.
- Develop and maintain a model of assessment of NPU’s success in preparing students for health professions including a continuous comparison of NPU to the most successful undergraduate schools.
Engage Regional and National Resources
- Guide students on tours of Chicago-area schools offering health graduate programs.
- Develop a strong network, including professional relationships with local and regional graduate schools in the health professions.
- Actively engage the resources of the National Association of Advisors for the health professions.
Engage the NPU Community
- Work with University Marketing to continually update the relevant sections of the NPU website describing NPU services and programs designed to support students interested in the health professions.
- Educate the NPU community on current workforce trends and graduate training in the health professions.
- Engage the community through a variety of methods (e.g.: open meetings, guest speakers, newsletters, posters).
- Advertise the opportunities to explore the health professions in collaboration with the associated NPU program.
- Collaborate with the School of Nursing and Health Sciences to ensure clear communication to students.
- Support the developing NPU Center for Education in the Health Professions.
Collaborate and Coordinate NPU Programs
- Collaborate with Career Development and Internships Office in programmatic efforts promoting health professions.
- Co-Advise the student interest groups for the health professions (e.g.: Pre-Dental, Pre-Pharmacy, American Medical Student Association); assist students in applications for grants supporting the activities of these groups.
- Coordinate programs specifically designed for students preparing for a health profession (e.g.: the Pre-Health Boot Camp, entrance exam review courses).
- Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field required.
- Experience in advising students.
- Skill in interacting with students both individually and in groups.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Project management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to articulate a personal commitment to North Park’s mission of Christian higher education.
- Broad understanding of employment in all the health professions.
- Familiarity with assessment tools commonly used in career counseling (e.g., strength and interest inventories).
- Ability to drive an NPU passenger van.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Supervision of a student worker and/or a graduate student intern.
NOTE: Nothing in this job description restricts the supervisor’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.