Director of Communications
Director of Communications, Commonwealth Honors College
About University of Massachusetts Amherst:
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is one of the major public research universities in America. Nestled in idyllic Amherst, Massachusetts, the campus is consistently ranked among the top public research universities in the nation, and offers a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.
Provides leadership and oversight for the communications, marketing, and national visibility efforts of Commonwealth Honors College (CHC). Initiate college and campus committees, projects, and activities in service of college mission and goals. The Director of Communications promotes the activities, initiatives and accomplishments of the College to constituents such as alumni, current students, and prospective students. The incumbent serves as a representative of the Dean, is the spokesperson for media outlets, and is a significant contributor to the Dean’s senior staff.
The successful candidate of this position will:
Provide oversight and direction for materials representing the College
- Create and oversee college branding.
- Develop and produce multi-media marketing and communications materials (including print publications, website and social media) for distribution to constituents.
- Write feature stories, news items, press releases, etc.
- Write, design, edit and produce documents, posters, pamphlets, special event publications and other material as needed.
- Support and oversee the coordination of written communication efforts in College units.
- Prepare annual budget recommendations for communications materials and website, and participate in budget determination.
- Develop printed recruitment materials and other collateral.
- Create multimedia assets, including videos and photos.
- Supervise team of student communications assistants (writers) and photographers; select, supervise and direct graphic designers, photographers, and freelance writers.
- Evaluate and procure off-campus vendors and services as appropriate.
Provide vision/guidance for use of resources and technology to meet College's communications needs
- Responsible for the college website, including construction of new pages and creation of content. Ensure overall visual consistency throughout website.
- Oversee content and distribution of weekly e-newsletter for students.
- Partner with CHC's IT unit to meet college's communications objectives.
- Create and maintain dynamic and Search Engine Optimized webpages, including news, student profiles, blogs, and multi-media sections.
- Create and maintain comprehensive college-wide on-line calendar.
- Create and oversee social media, including CHC Facebook pages, Twitter, blogs, and YouTube.
Provide leadership to various college and campus-wide communications initiatives to produce communications pieces
- Provide strategic planning and project management expertise to units, college, and campus-wide committees and projects.
- Provide strategic direction to CHC units for their communications goals, including website content.
- Consult with other academic units about website creation and development.
- Liaise with University Relations colleagues around campus-wide communications.
- Partner with/represent CHC on campus-wide committees and/or partnerships with other campus units (e.g., Residential Life).
Develop collateral for college events
- Responsible for communications and collateral for college events and activities.
- Create communications and collateral for annual recruitment and new student events.
- Create talking points, PowerPoint slides, and other materials for the Dean and Associate Dean as needed.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Must have a BA/BS degree in liberal arts or related field required.
- Five years communications experience required, to include a combination of print media production, publication development, writing, working with vendors and editorial services.
- Demonstrated strong communications, organizational and writing skills required.
- Demonstrated creative ability and management skills required.
- Knowledge of current media technology required.
- Knowledge and experience in the design and maintenance of websites preferred.
- Ability to work independently and beyond traditional working hours required.
Applicants should apply by the priority deadline of May 19th, 2017 in order to ensure full consideration.
Please apply online and include a letter of application, resume, and names and contact information of three references.
The University is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.