Vice President for Marketing and Communications
LIM College, a collegiate leader in fashion education, invites creative, strategic, and organized marketing professionals with a heart for working with fashion, the business of fashion, and students interested in the field to apply for the newly established Vice President for Marketing and Communications position. Working closely with senior leadership at the College, the vice president for marketing and communications develops and leads implementation of institution-wide marketing and communications programs. This vice president will create a multi-year plan for the College, shaping and managing activities that promote the College’s visibility and brand reputation.
The vice president will set the appropriate tone for the “marketing culture” at the College, and lead the creation of partnerships with the Board, faculty, staff, and industry partners. The goal is to advance the College’s brand and position with prospective students, industry, and other relevant constituents, and through strategic communications efforts and plan execution, drive broader institutional awareness and positively impact enrollment. The vice president for marketing and communications ensures the quality of the College’s varied and integrated marketing and communications, including: brand building; print publications; web and other online communications; media and public relations; and social media. S/he will supervise a team of five marketing and communications professionals, knitting together their efforts to form a cohesive, well-functioning unit for the promotion of LIM College.
STRATEGY, VISION AND LEADERSHIP
• Develops and implements the College’s integrated marketing plan to advance the College’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs (UG, grad, transfer, international, online) across key stakeholder audiences. Plan includes: quantitative and qualitative goals and objectives; strategies to measure progress against those goals; timelines, budgets, and responsibilities defined.
• Defines marketing and communications objectives that are aligned and in support of the College’s mission, vision, and institutional goals as informed by the Strategic Plan. Analyzes and interprets information, conditions, stakeholder positions, and other variables in order to develop a framework for communications and marketing; adjusts the strategy in response to or in anticipation of changing conditions. Coordinates/outsources, as appropriate, with outside agency partners, ensuring collaboration and consistency.
• As a major priority for the College, works closely with the dean of admissions to continually improve and strengthen the College’s marketing and communications to the prospective student audience. Constructs integrated communications flows for all target audiences and ensures the successful execution of these communications. In an environment of increasing competition across higher education, remains current on the College’s position vis-à-vis its competitors and creates strategies to gain and sustain advantage in the market.
• Works very closely with the Experiential Education & Career Management team to synergize strategies related to advancing and growing the College’s reputation and network within the fashion industry.
• Works with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them. Inspires creative thinking and fosters problem solving.
• Oversees the development of the College’s brand identity and messaging. Creates an effective partnership network across all departments of the College, including faculty, to advance brand building goals.
• Serves as marketing/communications liaison to the College’s senior leadership. Advises on media perceptions, public relations issues, marketing strategies, and effective messaging to advance the reputation of the College and to minimize risk.
• Leads crisis communications, working with departmental team to develop key messages, themes, and talking points for leadership.
• Ensures that goals, objectives, and strategies closely integrate digital and social media with traditional editorial and media relations. Promotes an integrated strategy of deployment across marketing/communications disciplines (i.e., media relations, employee communications, branding and identity, financial communications, marketing communications, industry relations).
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS OPERATIONS
• Oversees creation and deployment of all College communications and marketing activity.
• Ensures development of high-quality products and channels that effectively deliver the desired message within budget and time constraints.
• Serves as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that promote and/or impact the organization.
• Works collaboratively with the marketing team and subject matter experts across the College to create frameworks and strategies for shared responsibility for content development.
• Works with internal academic and administrative leaders to identify and achieve messaging goals.
• Develops and implements systems to measure the effectiveness of all strategic communications and marketing activities.
• Sustains comprehensive knowledge of the campus, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices and infrastructure, and a strong knowledge of current affairs, issues in higher education, and/or specialized subject matter.
• Recruits and manages marketing and communications team as well as faculty, Board, alumni, student and staff partners to support the development and execution of strategy in a fast-paced environment.
• Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
• Mentors and develops staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
• Establishes and monitors staff performance and development goals, assigns accountabilities, sets objectives, establishes priorities, and conducts annual performance appraisals.
Experience and Qualifications
Successful candidates will possess and demonstrate they offer the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, business or a related field; an advanced degree is strongly preferred.
- At least seven years of experience, with a record of demonstrated success and progressively responsible roles in marketing and/or communications, preferably in the higher education sector.
- Impactful writing skills, effective editing abilities, and the vision and expertise to inspire and impart talented storytelling.
- Strong working knowledge of the latest digital and print developments and trends, publications, e-communications, branding and market research techniques and practices.
- Significant experience in management and supervision, able to build teams, encourage and support team members, and bring out the best in each professional.
- Familiarity and comfort in a highly collaborative work environment, willing to contribute by building internal partnerships with faculty, staff, students and alumni.
- Experience coordinating efforts with a variety of external partners on creative processes and projects, while personally contributing to the success of projects.
- Aptitude and adeptness for using data to inform strategy and tactics around creating and assessing target markets and ROI that are aligned with the College’s strategic plan and mission.
- Exposure to online education and awareness of best practices associated with SEO and other marketing trends.
- Innovative and creative vision, along with a competitive and relevant spirit of promoting the College with integrity, honesty and ethics.
- Familiarity and experience working with the New York City media market is desired.
LIM College – Where Business Meets Fashion
Located in midtown Manhattan—the fashion capital of the world—LIM College is devoted exclusively to educating students for success in the global business of fashion and its many related industries. As a pioneer in experiential education, LIM fosters a unique connection between academic study and real-world experience and is lauded for its graduates’ impressive employment rates. Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and with programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs, LIM offers undergraduate majors in Fashion Merchandising, International Business, Management, Marketing, Fashion Media, and Visual Merchandising. At the graduate level, LIM offers Master of Professional Studies degree programs in Fashion Marketing (also available fully online), Fashion Merchandising & Retail Management (also available fully online), Global Fashion Supply Chain Management, and Visual Merchandising. The College has an enrollment of approximately 1,515 undergraduates, 185 graduate students and an additional 106 fully online graduate students); 400 students live in the College residence hall on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.
To learn more about LIM, visit https://www.limcollege.edu/
Additional information about the online offerings can be found at https://www.limcollege.edu/online-programs
LIM College provides a collegial place to work with competitive compensation including generous benefits, vacation and time off.
Napier Executive Search is assisting LIM College to identify the experienced professional who will serve the LIM community as the new Vice President for Marketing and Communications. For more information, or to nominate someone for this position, contact Laura Robinson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mary Napier (email@example.com). All conversations will remain confidential unless otherwise stated and agreed.
Interested candidates should submit the following: 1) a résumé, 2) a letter of interest describing their unique qualifications for the Vice President for Marketing and Communications position, and 3) a writing sample from their body of work – plan to share the context of the writing and the purpose for which the piece was created. Candidates should also provide the names and contact information of at least three professional references. For confidentiality, references will not be contacted without permission. All application materials should be submitted electronically to LIMCollege@napiersearch.com by May 20, 2017. The preferred start date is Summer 2017.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LIM College is committed to its policy of non-discrimination in its employment practices and educational programs. All employment actions, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, promotions, terminations, layoffs, returns from layoffs, compensation, benefits, transfers and participation in LIM College-sponsored training, education or social/recreational programs, are made without regard or consideration for an individual's race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, mental or physical disability, marital status, genetic information or an individual's membership in any other class or category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Apply for Vice President for Marketing and Communications
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly