Director of Human Resources
Barton College, a four-year, private, liberal arts college located in Wilson, North Carolina, is seeking a Director of Human Resources. The College enrolls over 1,000 students and employs approximately 180 faculty and staff. To learn more about Barton College, visit www.barton.edu.
The City of Wilson and Barton College offer many cultural opportunities and a high quality, small city/small college lifestyle. Wilson is located equal distance between, and a short commute to, Greenville and Raleigh, NC.
Reporting to the Vice President for Administration and Finance, the Director of Human Resources is a key member of the Barton Leadership Team. The Director is responsible for ensuring that the human resource functions are aligned with the mission of the College and, through careful review of departmental programs, creating and communicating a clear vision, strategy, and model for the department.
Essential and Related Functions:
- Provide supervision and direct support for search committees, onboarding new employees, payroll and benefits administration, and the employee exit process.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state statutes on issues of compensation, benefits, employment practices, health and wellness programs, and payroll. And will serve as the EEO officer.
- Develop collaborative relationships at all levels of the College, become an advocate for human resources and promote its ability to function as a flexible, available, and accessible resource to all. Provide leadership for the HR Advisory Committee.
- Assess all HR’s functions and systems. Review all current processes and workflows to determine those that can be improved through modernizing outdated technologies by purchasing new products, utilizing the automated features already available in current systems, and optimizing existing applications to improve work flow.
- Collaboratively develop, document, and implement human resource policies and procedures while ensuring compliance with all applicable federal and state regulations. Develop an employee handbook that will include policies and procedures and highlight the many benefits and resources available to Barton College employees in an easily accessible format.
- Work with the various constituencies to increase the College’s ability to recruit and retain employees through meeting the changing needs of a committed and dynamic workforce, competitive benefits and compensation, and a commitment to and philosophy of diversity. Manage and provide programs to ensure the recruitment and retention of a high quality and diverse workforce.
- Provide strategic consultation and guidance to senior administration and department managers on human resource issues. Provide advice and guidance to employees and managers regarding resolution of employee complaints, performance problems or application of College policies.
- Work in conjunction with senior leadership to ensure that the benefits program is designed to enhance the overall employee experience and respond to the changing needs of employees while being fiscally responsible. Administer employee benefits with the support of external consultants.
- With stakeholder input, lead the development of an effective staff performance management process that integrates with staff development and compensation programs.
- Design, implement and manage compensation programs for staff. Serve as a resource to the provost and the deans. Provide data and recommendations on faculty salaries and annual salary increases.
- Oversee a $100,000 operating office budget and a $13,000,000 compensation budget.
- Promote a culture of trust that supports and values the sense of community at Barton College.
- Be a leader to other managers, increasing their toolbox of skills, and serve as an educator and resource on current issues in human resources.
- Continually evaluate HR programs to identify potential areas of opportunity. Incorporate technology-driven methods of managing human resources while not losing sight of the human aspect of human resource functions.
- B.A. or B.S. required and relevant advanced degree and/or professional certification preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in design, implementation, management, and review of human resource functions (including benefits, compensation, and employment law) in an environment of comparable size and complexity, preferably within an academic environment.
- The energy and interest to work with and reach out to all divisions of the College.
- Strong and effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- The highest degree of ethical value.
- A commitment to fairness and equity.
- An appreciation for the distinct mission, traditions, and culture of Barton College.
- Demonstrated ability to establish credibility with all constituencies – staff, administration, and faculty – through genuine listening and communications skills that engender trust and support confidentiality.
- Active engagement and participation in the learning community. Collaborative and flexible approach to establishing strong professional relationships, internally and externally.
- Successful experience with budgets and financial analyses related to human resource programs.
- Proven commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Please submit a resume, at least three professional references, and a cover letter addressing above characteristics to email@example.com. Barton College, PO Box 5000, Wilson, NC 27893; Attention: Luann Clark (252) 399-6329.
Barton College is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all applicants are considered irrespective of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, sexual orientation, disability and age.
Apply for Director of Human Resources
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly