Dougherty Family College Dean & Executive Officer
Reporting to the Provost, the Dean and Executive Officer will serve as the chief administrative officer for the Dougherty Family College, working alongside colleagues and faculty to establish strategic direction and lead the execution of institutional priorities while building a strong foundation for the College within the Twin Cities community.
Reports to: Richard Plumb, PhD, UST Provost
Direct Reports: Buffy Smith, PhD, Associate Dean of Academics, Associate Dean of Students
Other key relationships: Julie Sullivan, PhD, UST President, Dougherty Family College students & families, Dean's Council, Erik Thurman, VP of Development, Dougherty Family Faculty, Corporate partners, Donors, UST Board of Trustees
Position Location: Minneapolis, MN
- Defines the future of the Dougherty Family College and the importance of a two-year degree pathway at the University.
- Works collaboratively with the administration and faculty to further articulate a shared vision for the Dougherty Family College as it grows and thrives.
- Develops and implements an overarching strategic plan which will serve as the foundation of the Dougherty Family College as a two-year college committed to serving a diverse student body. This will include a business plan with financial components as well as broad institutional priorities.
- Serves as a member of the President's Cabinet.
- Represents the Dougherty Family College as chief ambassador with corporate partners, donors, students and families, and other key stakeholders.
- Develops and maintains strong community, professional, governmental, foundation and corporate relationships that support the growth and sustainability of the College.
- Successfully drives the recruits recruitment of students to the Dougherty Family College.
- Develops partnerships with companies that are committed to the future strength and success of our local workforce.
- Actively promotes the Dougherty Family College within the communities it serves. Enhances the visibility and impact of the College in the community at large.
- Partners with corporations and other educational leaders on student success initiatives and efforts aimed at reducing education and prosperity gaps.
- Implements best practices for providing education to a culturally diverse student body.
- Raises funds and garners non-financial support to advance the mission of the organization.
- Develops and enhances strong relationships with potential and current donors to secure the resources necessary to sustain and grow the two-year college.
- Ensures the adequacy and soundness of Dougherty Family College's financial foundation through careful planning, analysis and management.
- Uses financial acumen when making decisions and/or advising others.
As the leader of the Dougherty Family College, the Dean and Executive Officer is expected to demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
- Models and communicates a compelling passion for the overall work of the organization, both internally and externally. Inspires a sense of excitement around the organization's mission and values.
- Models servant leadership through supporting others in achieving excellence.
- Displays a sense of optimism. Sees possibilities and makes a vision sharable by all.
- Translates ideas into effective strategies and priorities for the organization. Drives accountability for getting things done.
- Steadfastly pushes self and others for results. Creates a sense of urgency in others to get maximum performance from the group.
- Can decide and act with limited information.
- Comfortably manages ambiguity and risk in pursuit of defined objectives.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.
Inquiries regarding this position should be directed to:
The ideal candidate will be a bright, strategic, entrepreneurial professional executive with a demonstrated passion for education and a commitment to positive outcomes for underserved students and communities. A devotion to diversity and inclusion is paramount, as is the ability to be a credible and effective ambassador for the College with a broad range of constituents within and outside the Dougherty Family College.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic self-starter with a successful record of inspirational leadership in building organizations, programs and teams. Strong planning and organizational skills, with the ability to think strategically in the design and execution of programs, are also required. S/he must demonstrate broad vision, while understanding the day-to-day needs of the organization. A demonstrated commitment to prudent financial leadership and past successful fiscal management are required.
Excellent organizational leadership and people management skills, including the ability to inspire a team and hold members accountable, are critical. S/he will be a motivational leader who provides regular coaching and feedback to his/her team.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to the ideals set forth in University of St. Thomas' mission statement. An advanced degree or equivalent experience is preferred. The highest of ethical standards are assumed.
Inquiries regarding this position should be directed to:
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than “Jobs at St. Thomas”, the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer