Chair of Visual Effects
The SCAD visual effects program offers undergraduate and graduate degrees and provides a unique combination of professional instruction built upon a traditional fine arts foundation, with opportunities to work individually and collaboratively within a framework of cooperative activity that reflects the real-world experience of film and digital entertainment production.
Join SCAD Savannah as the full-time chair of visual effects and provide students the fluency to express their ideas and develop their personal vision. This is your chance to work with talented students within the historic district of Savannah, Georgia, a walkable, bikeable coastal city providing a living laboratory for the study of art and design.
We are looking for someone with significant professional experience in visual effects producing, as well as experience as supervisor, facility manager or lead member of a visual effects production team in at least one of the principal areas of visual effects production, such as digital effects animation, technical direction, lighting, compositing, effects programming or creation of virtual 2-D and 3-D environments. Candidates must be familiar with current trends and technological developments in visual effects image gathering.
- Day-to-day administration of the academic department
- Direct, coordinate and evaluate the visual effects department
- Develop curriculum
- Foster inter-departmental collaboration and continue to enhance the reputation of the SCAD visual effects department in academic and professional circles
- Oversee departmental budget, including its development and implementation
- Work with the admission department to recruit talented undergraduate and graduate students to SCAD and to the department
- Teach classes annually, as assigned
- Evaluate professors within the department through class observations, a review of student evaluations, a review of service and professional development and a review of contributions to the department’s goals
- Work with the dean to provide professional development opportunities for professors
- Develop, in consultation with the dean and department members, a strategic plan for the department that is consistent with School of Digital Media goals and the overall SCAD strategic plan
- Terminal degree or its equivalent in visual effects or a related field
- Strong communication skills
- Proven leadership skills
- Ability to motivate students and faculty to think creatively and critically
- Ability to work with students and faculty of diverse backgrounds
- Well versed in the history/critical theory of the discipline
- University-level administration
- At least four years’ teaching experience
- On-set and location experience in a supervisory capacity
- Familiarity with the planning and execution of photographic elements for visual effects, including script breakdown and detailed shot planning, essential camera operation, scene data collection, CG integration, miniature and forced-perspective photography, blue- and green-screen photography, use of motion control technology, set protocol and the planning and construction of special effects rigs for visual effects
- Candidates must be familiar with current trends and technological developments in visual effects image gathering, creation and execution
- Familiar with AR/VR applications of visual effects and other emergent technologies
- Passionate about leading curriculum development and professors to propel visual effects students toward their careers of the future.