IT Assistant - Level 1 (Provisional)
I.T. Assistants perform entry-level professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Assistants work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar based on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving minor technology problems, monitoring activities, and maintaining documentation. They have latitude for independent initiative and judgment, under supervision.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Queensborough Community College invites applications for the position of IT Assistant - Level 1.
One of the College's greatest strengths, and a necessary element of excellence, is the diversity of our community. We are committed to equal opportunity and affirmative action, and strive to attract and nurture a talented and diverse faculty and staff that proudly reflect the unique character of the local Queens community, the most diverse county in the United States.
Reporting to the Manager of Network Infrastructure the IT Assistant will provide a broad range of systems support services to IT at Queensborough Community College. The Network Support Technician is primarily responsible for the configuration, maintenance, support and installation of network switches and wireless access points. The selected individual must have a track record of hands-on management of Cisco, Aruba, and Juniper Switches as well as capability of working independently or in a team environment.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing network switches for deployment
- Testing network switches and access points
- Monitoring and resolve issues identified by remote network monitoring and management tools;
- Utilize network and wiring troubleshooting tools
- Tracing network cabling
- Maintain network physical and logical topology documentation
- Racking and Stacking equipment, Cabling/Termination, and Datacenter HVAC assessments
- Make recommendations where applicable for overall departmental efficiency
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- A minimum of six months of full-time experience in a computer or technology-related position. Experience that is more than 20 hours per week and less than 35 hours per week may be counted at 50% of the requirement (i.e., two months of part time experience equal to one month full time experience)
- Additional experience and/or education that can be met by ONE of the following: An additional three years and six months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; an Associate's degree plus 18 months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
Preferred qualifications include;
- Possess extensive knowledge of network and cabling tools
- Ability to identify rack unit numbers, inventory servers and network equipment
- Expert in tracing network cabling. Labeling, identify types of cable / fiber and its limitations
- Extensive experience in cable endpoint termination and troubleshooting
- Assist with wired and wireless users account creation and problem solving
- Proactively investigates switches firmware and update as needed
- Experienced in access point deployment
- Experience in diagraming and inventorying all network nodes
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills for service delivery
New Hire: $45,464* Incumbent: $51,374. *This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
April 7, 2017. Review of resumes will start on March 22, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Queensborough CC
Job Title: IT Assistant - Level 1 (Provisional)
Job ID: 16476
Full/Part Time: Full-Time