Chancellor, IWU - National and Global
Indiana Wesleyan University invites nominations and applications from motivated, forward looking Christians for the position of Chancellor, IWU – National and Global.
THE UNIVERSITY: Indiana Wesleyan University (IWU) is a private, Christian, liberal arts university headquartered in Marion, Indiana and is affiliated with The Wesleyan Church denomination. IWU is the largest member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) and is the largest private university in Indiana based on enrollment.
THE CHANCELLOR: As a senior officer of the University, the Chancellor, IWU – National and Global, will report directly to the President of the University. The Chancellor serves as the chief administrative officer of the National and Global programs, leading a staff of over 600 who educate over 11,000 students online and at eighteen remote sites, requiring a budget of $150 million. The National and Global administrative headquarters is located in close proximity to the main IWU campus in Marion, Indiana. The National and Global program has a long and rich history at IWU, having been established in 1985 and now has grown into one of the largest programs of its kind among Christian colleges in America.
This is a tremendously exciting opportunity for a dynamic, visionary and entrepreneurial leader who is drawn to innovation in a rapidly evolving business. The ideal candidate will have higher education experience, and most likely a doctoral degree, but may not have devoted his/her entire career to that field. The ideal candidate will have successfully navigated high stress, high expectation environments while producing exceptional return on investment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides innovative, strategic, and entrepreneurial leadership that drives toward fulfillment of university priorities.
- Effectively articulates the mission and vision that inspires the National & Global sector and its success.
- Works with the National & Global Cabinet and other leaders in establishing the richest educational experience, combined with operational excellence, in relation to the university’s mission.
- Provides oversight and coordination of the development of a National & Global strategic plan.
- Creates and manages the National & Global budget, for each unit and area of responsibility.
- Strengthens and expands relationships with internal and external constituencies, to secure the necessary resources to accomplish the university’s goals. Applies creativity and ingenuity to finding new funding opportunities and models.
- Develops mechanisms that enhance the recruitment, development, and retention of highly qualified faculty and staff.
- Ultimate oversight for broad-based innovations in student success, including: enrollment, retention and completion, transfer rates, and graduation.
- Enhances engagement with the community and the world, through an international outlook and service perspective.
- Investigates, coordinates, and manages global educational opportunities and partnerships.
- Demonstrates and models a ‘continuous improvement’ mindset to drive increased operational and administrative efficiency.
- Applies leadership beyond the institution by earning support and fostering trust by the local community, while promoting the university as an ambassador.
- An earned master’s degree or other equivalent advanced degree from an accredited college or university
- At least five years of senior level experience in education, business, industry, or government
- An earned doctorate degree from a regionally accredited college or university; significant long-term senior leadership experience in business, industry or government may be considered in lieu of the degree
- At least seven years of senior leadership experience within a university environment
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations governing 501(c)(3) institutions
- Visionary leader, with passion for students and excellence in higher education
- Understanding of the higher education landscape, combined with an international outlook and understanding of global trends and opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to forge collaborative relationships across campus, with stakeholders at various levels
- Ability to successfully navigate and thrive within a multi-institution context
- Strong administration capability, involving the following demonstrated qualities: strategic, innovative, proactive, approachable, problem-solver
- A superb communicator who is able to interact gracefully with faculty, students, staff, alumni, local community, donors, and others
- Proven fiscal management skills, including expertise at managing budgets, raising funds, and business forecasting
- Ability to address and manage organizational change
- Reputation for integrity, transparency, accountability, and Christ-likeness in dealing with others
NOMINATIONS and APPLICATIONS: EFL Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting IWU with its search for this important position. All calls and inquiries should be made through the search firm.
For more information about Indiana Wesleyan University and the Chancellor, IWU – National and Global search (including application requirements), please review the position profile by going to our website at www.eflassociates.com and click on Open Positions and Higher Education.
Nominations and applications will be held in confidence and should be submitted through the Consensus Search Support System – not via email. Applications should include:
- A letter of introduction outlining the applicant’s background, and qualifications for the position. (This letter should specifically address the leadership attributes and professional competencies for this position.)
- Curriculum vitae/résumé.
- Contact information (e-mail addresses are required) for five professional references, at least one of which is a person who has reported directly to you, a second who is a colleague, and a third who is an individual to whom the applicant has reported directly.
- All documents should be submitted electronically in PDF format through the Consensus Search Support System: https://highereddecisions.com/efl/current_vacancies.asp
- Committee will begin their review of all documents on April 15, 2017.
- The ideal start date is July 1, 2017; but not later than September 1, 2017.
Indiana Wesleyan University is an accredited Christ-centered academic community committed to changing the world by developing students in character, scholarship and leadership. Though diverse in our composition, IWU employees share an unwavering evangelical faith commitment, firmly rooted in a rich Wesleyan tradition and affirmed by all employees through the University's Employment Standards and Community Lifestyle Statement. Indiana Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse learning community of committed evangelical Christians from all racial and ethnic backgrounds.
Confidential inquiries, questions and nominations may be directed to:
Dr. David Sallee
Senior Consultant & Managing Director
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates
Ms. Angela Lilje
Higher Education Practice, EFL Associates