POSITION: Academic Dean
DEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs
APPOINTMENT: Full Time
LOCATION: San Dimas, CA
STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
This is the most exciting time to be working at University College at Azusa Pacific University! With our team of dedicated professionals and faculty, we are creating a new hope for the future by investing in lives through learning pathways that are Christ-centered, flexible and accessible.
If you want to join a dynamic, God-first culture that strives to provide quality academic programs to countless students, we welcome you to apply.
Be a part of this powerful campus of an already-prestigious university that offers flexibility and innovative delivery of education to learners everywhere.
If you have a passion for service, education and innovation, we’re interested in talking to you!
We offer a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including: 30 days Paid Time Off, med/dental/vision plans, life/LTD/ADD insurance, retirement and tuition assistance.
The Academic Dean (Dean) is the most senior academic position in the university and through the Chancellor executes the strategic vision, leadership, and administrative direction for academic programs. This role is also accountable for the governance of an academic institution, and the effective administration, operations, quality, and delivery of academic programs and products.
Required Experience / Education
• Christian Commitment: Vital Christian faith and lifestyle
• Supportive of the evangelical mission and purpose of UC and the Azusa Pacific University System
• Earned doctorate in an academic field or discipline
• Minimum five years of full-time teaching experience in an institution of higher learning
• Minimum five years of significant administrative experience in an institution of higher learning
Desired Experience / Education
• Minimum ten years of teaching experience in an institution of higher learning, including online instruction
• Minimum ten years of significant administrative experience in an institution of higher learning, including involvement in curriculum development, accreditation, outcomes assessment, academic policy, and faculty/staff oversight
• Leading APUC’s efforts to provide higher and further education opportunities for post-traditional students.
• Awareness of trends in Christian higher education and assessing their applicability to APUC in light of its mission and goals
• Developing and implementing a multi-year strategic plan for academic programming within APUC
• Providing administrative oversight of APUC’s academic programs, policies, and personnel
• Ensuring that all academic programs and policies reflect the mission and values of APUC, including a strong emphasis on faith integration and spiritual formation
• Securing and maintaining regional accreditation (and possibly professional accreditation and/or certification) for APUC programs, sites, and modalities
• Overseeing Educational Effectiveness efforts in APUC, including ongoing assessment of student learning outcomes, regular program reviews, and course and program revision
• Overseeing the development and implementation of APUC standards and best practices for online courses and services, including course components, formats, and technical support
• Setting appropriate academic policies, such as admission standards, grading policies, and graduation requirements
• Developing and being accountable for the APUC academic budget
• Developing the organizational structure and job descriptions for APUC academic personnel
• Recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training highly qualified and diverse academic personnel, course writers, and academic support staff
• Overseeing academic professional development, retention, and evaluation
• Chairing an APUC Academic Council charged with the development and implementation of academic standards, programs, and policies
• Collaborating with Enrollment, Student Services, Institutional Resources, and other University departments to develop effective marketing and recruiting strategies, academic support systems, and excellent customer service
• Teaching occasional courses for the University at the Chancellor’s discretion
• Carrying out other duties and responsibilities assigned by the Chancellor
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, including the ability to organize, motivate, and work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body
• Strong command of the English language with excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented, with an ability to plan and manage multiple projects concurrently in a timely manner
• Ability to be proactive, to work with little supervision and meet deadlines
• Ability to develop, re-engineer, and implement organizational structures and strategies
• Ability to formulate, interpret, adapt, and apply policies and regulations in a complex university setting
• Ability to supervise employees in accordance with APUC’s policies and applicable laws, including skill in interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, prioritizing, assigning, and directing workload; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems
• Knowledge of general office methods, procedures and practices
• Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures
• Knowledge of standard budgeting and expenditure control procedures and documentation
• Skill in the use of personal computers and appropriate software applications (see below)
• A positive, cooperative, Christ-like attitude supportive of the University and its mission
• Self-starter with the ability to work in a team-based, fast-paced atmosphere
• Ability to be proactive, take ownership of assigned responsibilities, and work with little supervision
• A “servant’s heart” that delights in providing the highest quality academic support services
• Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports
• Ability to investigate, analyze information, and draw conclusions
• Ability to engage in critical thinking, exercise independent judgment, set priorities, and solve problems
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information
This position typically includes the following physical demands. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time
• Sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment
• Visual acuity to read words and numbers
• Speaking and hearing ability sufficient to communicate in person or over the telephone
• Ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force and occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds
• Word processing software—Microsoft Word
• E-mail software–Microsoft Outlook
• Course management system—Moodlerooms
• Office applications software—Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Excel (required)
This job description is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and Azusa Pacific University College reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the University may deem appropriate.
Azusa Pacific University College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.